hummingbird feathers

dep

Steelhead
I found a dead one in our back yard. I think it met its demise with our kitchen window.
anyway, I have it outside to dry out for a bit.
are the feathers any good to tie with? too small?
if not, maybe once it petrifies I can hang it from my rearview mirror:rolleyes:

RCF

Life of the Party
In the United States the law that regulates the possession and or capture of any migratory bird and is called the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. This law specifically includes hummingbirds in the list of Migratory Birds that are protected under the United States Code of Federal Regulations.

Basically, it is illegal in the United States to hold a hummingbird, a hummingbird nest, a hummingbird baby, or any part of a hummingbird, nest, or egg, in any type of captivity in any way, shape, or form. This means that unless you have a valid permit, it is illegal to trap, band, hold, harass, or control any hummingbird or any part of the hummingbird, nest, or egg.

Shorter answer: You can look, but don't touch.

What branch of the US Government handles the removal of the carcass? Is there a 1-800 number? If it can't be touched, then how do their families and bird friends find closure? The poor rotting shell that once held the soul of a hummingbird just lying on the ground in this heat is heart breaking. I say that a dead bird on your property is yours to do with as you will. Please show respect if the bird has a DNR first. Then eat it if you want to.

CRequa

Steelhead
In the United States the law that regulates the possession and or capture of any migratory bird and is called the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. This law specifically includes hummingbirds in the list of Migratory Birds that are protected under the United States Code of Federal Regulations.

Basically, it is illegal in the United States to hold a hummingbird, a hummingbird nest, a hummingbird baby, or any part of a hummingbird, nest, or egg, in any type of captivity in any way, shape, or form. This means that unless you have a valid permit, it is illegal to trap, band, hold, harass, or control any hummingbird or any part of the hummingbird, nest, or egg.

Shorter answer: You can look, but don't touch.

But can u tie with the feathers?

RCF

Life of the Party
But can u tie with the feathers?

In the link I provided it states "Basically, it is illegal in the United States to hold a hummingbird, a hummingbird nest, a hummingbird baby, or any part of a hummingbird, nest, or egg, in any type of captivity in any way, shape, or form. This means that unless you have a valid permit, it is illegal to trap, band, hold, harass, or control any hummingbird or any part of the hummingbird, nest, or egg."

I am not a lawyer but if a feather is apart from the bird it is still a part of the bird aka bird part... :rolleyes:

My garden wasn't doing so well this year due to a lack of bees for some reason. Yesterday I put up a couple of hummingbird feeders to pick up the slack. The birds were so pretty that I was thinking along the same lines as @dep......

In the link I provided it states "Basically, it is illegal in the United States to hold a hummingbird, a hummingbird nest, a hummingbird baby, or any part of a hummingbird, nest, or egg, in any type of captivity in any way, shape, or form. This means that unless you have a valid permit, it is illegal to trap, band, hold, harass, or control any hummingbird or any part of the hummingbird, nest, or egg."

I am not a lawyer but if a feather is apart from the bird it is still a part of the bird aka bird part... :rolleyes:
What if the bird chose to stick around of its own accord? If it submitted gracefully to being plucked, slowly, over a long period of time, does the law still apply?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
First, name all the assholes that will turn you in for using found feathers.
Next, don't tell these assholes that you are using found feathers.
Third, never, ever, mention it on the internet.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
First, name all the assholes that will turn you in for using found feathers.
Next, don't tell these assholes that you are using found feathers.
Third, never, ever, mention it on the internet.
But if it's an awesome fly you tie, post it in the what's in your vice thread, but use a code word. Maybe call it the chumming bird fly. They'll never know lol.