Humminbird 120 question

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I have a fairly new to me Humminbird 120 that I've used a half dozen times, it was working perfectly before winter set in and I parked the sonar (without batteries). A month or so ago I got it out and installed new batteries anticipating getting out. Yesterday I got out on a lake, plugged in the two cords (power/transducer) and powered it up. The lake I was fishing I know fairly well; it ain't 256 feet deep off Raccoon Point, it's about 18-feet deep. I messed with setting a half dozen times - once in a great while it would work as it's supposed to then seem to have a mind of its own and screw up. I took it out today and was fishing a flat that's 5 - 6 feet deep, the sonar told me it was 156 feet deep. The temperature and side scan function properly (I think). Any ideas on what I might do? Is this a settings thing? Or is it time to bite the bullet and Striker it? (I really, really like the side scan funtion on these old, hokey units.)

dep

Steelhead
it has happened to me with mine this year as well. working fine and then it throws off weird numbers. I will turn it off and on (fresh batteries this season) and eventually it corrects itself.
maybe because the water is so cold?
I could use some coaching on the side scan feature. it shows fish every once in awhile at different distances - from me?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Mine has done that occasionally. Usually when the batteries are near dead. Might be worth trying fresh, even though you stated you swapped in batteries recently?

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Mine has done that occasionally. Usually when the batteries are near dead. Might be worth trying fresh, even though you stated you swapped in batteries recently?
I tossed the batteries when I got home - I was thinking (hoping??) this might be the case. We'll see. Did I mention I really like the side scan funtion?
it has happened to me with mine this year as well. working fine and then it throws off weird numbers. I will turn it off and on (fresh batteries this season) and eventually it corrects itself.
maybe because the water is so cold?
I could use some coaching on the side scan feature. it shows fish every once in awhile at different distances - from me?
You can set the side scan distance from your transducer then you know what direction and how far the fish is. What you don't know is how deep the fish is. I'll try new batteries next time out and keep my fingers crossed.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I had a 130 that started doing the same thing. I tried new batteries, turning it off/on, lifting it out of the water, then finally gave up on it.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I had a 130 that started doing the same thing. I tried new batteries, turning it off/on, lifting it out of the water, then finally gave up on it.
That's what I'm afraid of..........

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are you guys storing your depth finders where they can freeze in the winter? I don't know if it is an old wive's tale or not but have heard that freezing will kill some of them. I store mine in the shop where they are kept warm all winter, no problems yet.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Are you guys storing your depth finders where they can freeze in the winter? I don't know if it is an old wive's tale or not but have heard that freezing will kill some of them. I store mine in the shop where they are kept warm all winter, no problems yet.
Ive, I store my sonar unit(s) in the closet in my man cave with my rods, reels, lines and soon to be no more Rio fly lines; it's thermostatically controlled, always shaded.

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The most common cause of inconsistent depth reading on my FB 120 was weak batteries. I did shorten the length of my transducer and after that I would occasionally sweep my kick fin under the transducer. That would mess up the depth reading - 256 was a frequent result - but I could always clear it by cycling it off and on.

I also found the side scan function useful for identifying where to cast for cruising fish. You have to keep in mind that the side scan beam of 10 degrees is quite narrow. I posted the diagram below on the other site but will repeat it here in case it's useful to someone.

Ken

1c3.JPG

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
The most common cause of inconsistent depth reading on my FB 120 was weak batteries. I did shorten the length of my transducer and after that I would occasionally sweep my kick fin under the transducer. That would mess up the depth reading - 256 was a frequent result - but I could always clear it by cycling it off and on.

I also found the side scan function useful for identifying where to cast for cruising fish. You have to keep in mind that the side scan beam of 10 degrees is quite narrow. I posted the diagram below on the other site but will repeat it here in case it's useful to someone.

Ken

View attachment 58968
Ken - I'm hoping weak batteries is the problem.

That narrow side scan beam has helped me locate fish many times that otherwise I may well have missed. It's really the key feature that keeps me using the Fishinbuddy.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Scotty needs to come up with an 'articulated' transducer arm that allows the sidescan enthusiasts to easily point regular transducers (like Garmin) in a horizontal orientation. I suppose one could also mount another transducer 90° from the existing transducer, and simply install a switch in the signal feed lines to the display unit that allows one to alternate downward or sidescan on the monitor. I suspect @iveofione would be all over such a modification were he a sidescan fan.....

Last edited:

MELinOre

Steelhead
The most common cause of inconsistent depth reading on my FB 120 was weak batteries.
I'm going to 2nd(3rd/4th) that observation.

I have used rechargeable batteries in the past, and frequently saw those weird readings on my 140C.

Not so common after only using good quality alkaline AA batt's.

Costco/Kirkland brand are my "go to" as the shelf life and price are favorable. YMMV (y)

ABITNF

Steelhead
Mmy 120 has been a real workhorse. My son now has it. I've replaced the battery pack twice and the transducer once and it's still going. I have a 140 that eats batteries like crazy and has the same problem with faulty readings. I've yet to get to the bottom of it because I went and bought a Garmin.

Pez Vela

Steelhead
I solved the battery issue on my 140 by getting a new power cord, and hooking it up to a small LiPo battery. You'll need a step down converter for 12 to 9 volts... works good, last a long time. Having said that... I also have a Garmin Stryker 4 that is a much better finder! Now if I could just pick up the Mariners game on it...

IMG_5534.jpegIMG_5541.jpegIMG_5818.jpegIMG_7769.jpeg

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
TTT - fresh batteries. Kick off from shore, grab the 120 and put it in the Cabelas holder, turn it on. It works! For ten minutes and then suddenly the 15' contour is 256'. Back and forth throughout the day. I might as well drop the thing in the garbage. Not yet, but maybe soon. I have a 12-day trip to BC beginning May 28th and I'm hoping the 15'-256'-15'-256' is a fluke (I doubt it) but I do have a 140C for backup. Anyway - end of Humminbird rant.

It seems to me that the Humminbird holder that clamps to the pram's transom might make a great mount for my Striker 4cv. I need some @Haggis57 creativity to make this work. ;-)

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
Who has the name and address of the guy/biz that repairs FBs up in the Vancouver BC area?
Sure be nice to know what he can and cannot fix?

I looked at the PDF manual and it only goes so deep, nothing technical.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
TTT - fresh batteries. Kick off from shore, grab the 120 and put it in the Cabelas holder, turn it on. It works! For ten minutes and then suddenly the 15' contour is 256'. Back and forth throughout the day. I might as well drop the thing in the garbage. Not yet, but maybe soon. I have a 12-day trip to BC beginning May 28th and I'm hoping the 15'-256'-15'-256' is a fluke (I doubt it) but I do have a 140C for backup. Anyway - end of Humminbird rant.

It seems to me that the Humminbird holder that clamps to the pram's transom might make a great mount for my Striker 4cv. I need some @Haggis57 creativity to make this work. ;-)
My 130 did that. I finally broke down and bought a Lowrance. POS! I now have a Garmin showing up this week.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Who has the name and address of the guy/biz that repairs FBs up in the Vancouver BC area?
Sure be nice to know what he can and cannot fix?

I looked at the PDF manual and it only goes so deep, nothing technical.I
I downloaded their manual and read it over a few times. Somewhere I read that this seems like the transducer is failing. Time to upgrade.
My 130 did that. I finally broke down and bought a Lowrance. POS! I now have a Garmin showing up this week.
I bought a Spring Creek Pram last summer, it came with a new in the box never used Garmin Striker 4cv. The transducer is big and because of this I've not bothered to try setting it up. Now, I guess I'm forced to. (Showing up in time for your trip??).

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sorry Pat, this is one rabbit hole I haven't gone down yet! I had the same thought about using the Humminbird FB strap-on holder for my Garmin Striker Plus 4. Like you, it seemed to me that the small round base on the Garmin would be easy to transition to the opening in the Fishing Buddy mount. However, I quickly decided to go with the strap-on FishFinderMount setup that brought the screen a little closer to my aging eyes!

Have you considered one of the magnetic transducer mounts from FishFinderMount for your pram, rather than a permanent mount? That would it easier to move the transducer between your pram and your pontoon. I'll need to open my new bottle of Irish Whiskey to come up with some ideas for mounting the Garmin screen on the Humminbird FB mount!!

Ken