HRQ #5

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Got back to the shop, (cluttered garage) and did a little hacking on the strips. I used a Makita palm sander with 60 grit to rough shape the strips…..way better on the wrist and crappy finger. This is going to make life better!
This version is a one piece 6’ (no scarf) much lighter/thinner rod than previous HRQ’s. We’ll see…… :unsure:

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Right or wrong….I glued it together today. Quite a bit thinner and for the second time (HRQ #4) I reversed the strips to stagger the nodes. I know that goes against the rules of bamboo rod making…..but rules are made to be broken! What can I say…..it’s a Frankenquad! Besides, the fish don’t care.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Old nine fingers planed HRQ #5 into a fishing stick today. Sure helped using a palm sander…..what a dust storm! Cough hack cough!! Next is a champagne cork grip, (thanks Bob!) and figure out what I’m going to use for the reelseat…..

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
You using the sander instead of a plane?

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Four coats of Tru Oil on……champagne cork grip made, zebra wood reelseat with black hardware and thinking about black wraps. Taking the day off tomorrow to fish!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Steve, those are looking so good

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Thanks Phil, you need to make one! They’re not hard, and no special tools required…..
I do. Just too far down the priority list right now.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
De-virginized HRQ #5 today! Only 1/3 sight casting midge emergers…..but it will lay out 70’+ casts on a dime! Don’t tell the experts on Classicflyrodforum how I built it…..I don’t know what I’m doing but don’t care if it casts like this! Oh, and 9/21 with “Buzzy” bamboo with the indicator!

Last edited:

BigSplashTom

Steelhead
Packages from Ricks & HFF arrived in tonight's mail. It was almost like opening my childhood Christmas stocking except instead of finding tangerine's nuts and candy it was full of Thread, guides, and reel seats.
Now I can finally finish restoring BST#2 bamboo rod.

Hmm... which one will be BST#3 ?
1698975097701.png

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
HRQ #5 scored today…..17/25 in a little over an hour after the sun went behind the trees on a local lake! Nothing at all for a couple of hours before that, then the lake came alive! All sight casting midge emergers. I’m really liking this HRQ! My best one yet…..