How's summer going?

Anybody gettin' any summers yet this year? Thinking of banking the Ump on a big day trip (can't do an overnight), worth it?

Don't need to, but kinda want to...wouldn't have spent all the money if I just wanted to sit on the bank...Anybody catching any summer steel?

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Trying to figure out the summer program on a local river, I caught one in late spring (more or less winter conditions), but that's it. Only trout on my swung steelhead flies this summer. There are definitely some around, I think I'm just not covering enough water, fishing the non-productive spots, or both.

I'll probably switch to a more reliable SW WA river in August.

Same story here on the Central OR Coast,... Temps up, returns down...tons of resident trout, waiting for the SRC to get up to I can get to 'em...

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Dont even ask here in PS, only 1 hatchery steelhead has been trapped in all of PS so far this year. Wilds are far and few, and most rivers are shut down anyway.

Thanks Beardslee and WFC for fucking up our fisheries!
The Skykomish summer runs used to be so much fun, nevermore.

Same story in WA, eh? Sad state of affairs...was hoping someone would come through with a ray of hope...at least there's a few trout so I can get a tug...Still got my ear to the ground for the Rogue and Umpqua

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Dont even ask here in PS, only 1 hatchery steelhead has been trapped in all of PS so far this year. Wilds are far and few, and most rivers are shut down anyway.

Thanks Beardslee and WFC for fucking up our fisheries!
The Skykomish summer runs used to be so much fun, nevermore.
Don't be so pessimistic. We have 3 hatchery steelhead back now for all of puget sound....

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Found one on my local but haven’t put much effort in while chasing other endeavors. Hoping to get after it a bit more before the big blowout comes.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I hear carp are the new steelhead.

I hear carp are the new steelhead.
Eeekkk!!! 😮 j/k...they are indeed a challenge, fished for 'em in Colorado...super selective and will only bite a fly while actively feeding, and will peel your reel faster than an big steelhead...my buddy's hand got bloodied trying rim one to save his drag! I haven't hunted 'em in Oregon yet, are there any?

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Eeekkk!!! 😮 j/k...they are indeed a challenge, fished for 'em in Colorado...super selective and will only bite a fly while actively feeding, and will peel your reel faster than an big steelhead...my buddy's hand got bloodied trying rim one to save his drag! I haven't hunted 'em in Oregon yet, are there any?
I’ve only recently started to chase them, but they’re around for sure.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
They need to plant 300k summers at Reiter and 75k in every trib with water running in it in summer. We would have a halfassed decent fishery. With those #'s we would still have lousy to decent fishing with a good year thrown in here and there. With 80k planted for the entire system, might as well close it all down, what a joke

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
Summer steelhead are such great sport. They are available from the opener all the way through October. I've caught fresh chrome fish as late as Sept. The days are long, they can be caught at any hour, good eating, fight great, they typically spread out throughout a watershed providing lots of opportunity with very little crowding. They are receptive to the fly and gear, i could go on and on about why WDFW should double down on summer runs. I think I'll go yell at my neighbor to get off my lawn now....

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not so long ago it seemed like winter would never end and spring would never arrive. And now summer is just racing by!

I've only been after summer steelhead once, but will be getting after them the rest of this month. When one considers what the steelhead program in WA used to be like compared to what we have today, there is no comparison. It's like the program never existed, except in our memories. They used to be nearly everywhere, and now they barely exist anywhere. WDFW not stocking hatchery summer run steelhead is only part of it. The smolt to adult survival rates cause the runs that still exist to number only about one-fifth of what they used to, and often less. I was just conversing with some friends the other day and noted that by the 4th of July on the NF Stilly there would be at least 100, if not 150 summer runs in Fortson, 60 in Skiers, and more spread up and downstream through the river. It wasn't a question of whether there were fish in the pool I chose to fish; it was whether I could entice one to bite. Big difference today; was there even one fish in any of the last four pools I fished today?

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They need to plant 300k summers at Reiter and 75k in every trib with water running in it in summer. We would have a halfassed decent fishery. With those #'s we would still have lousy to decent fishing with a good year thrown in here and there. With 80k planted for the entire system, might as well close it all down, what a joke
I'm curious how you feel about taxes.