How to test a new rod.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
This is how I would recommend someone choose a new fly rod.

First, have a good understanding of what you want the rod to do. It may seem simplistic but it's a really important step.
Last spring I wanted a new 9ft 5wt and I believe it rather weird that I do not own one. However the reason I wanted it was to throw stone fly and hopper patterns. It's pretty clear that a 6wt is a better choice due to the size and wind resistance of the flies for my intended use. I ended up with a 9ft 6 wt.

Next, know what line you plan to use and bring it with you or buy it before you cast and use it to test the rod. It is the line that carries fly while casting, not the rod. The fly determines the line and the line that determines the rod.

If you are looking for a new bass rod for throwing deer hair poppers it'll not do much good to go cast 8wts with a standard weight forward line. Get a bass bug taper line and test rods with it. You'll get a better idea of how the rod respond with your intended use.

Then, before you really start evaluating the rod just spend a few minutes casting it, have fun, and get a feel for it. After this warm up period start with just the leader out the tip top.
It's my opinion you should feel some load at this point, you should still be able to develop a loop and deliver the fly.

Then go to a normal fishing distance, for trout fishing maybe 20 to 30 feet. This is where you should love how the rod feels, if you don't, it's not the rod for you.
You should be able throw a nice tight loop, put the fly right where you want it.

Now, pull out as much line as you can cast successfully. Slowly lengthen your cast keeping the line airealized.
Does the rod feel like it's handling the line? Does it feel like it's collapsing? Now, as you are casting watch your loop. Does the loop remain tight or has it opened up? The bottom leg of your loop, is it straight or does it have waves in it? Does it start to tail? Do you still like the way it feels?

Now stop.. ask the fly shop guy to cast for a few minutes, watch the loops while he casts, watch the rod flex. Look for the same things that you did while you were casting. Let him cast enough to where you kinda forget how the rod felt.
Then pick up the rod again and just cast like you did for the warm up. Note if anything changes or feels different.
Then the only questions are, does it do what you need it to do? and do you like it?

That, in my opinion is the best way to test out a new rod. This should take at least 15 minutes per rod.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In reality, the majority of people buy rods based on brand name and model etc.

There would be very little gear in the classifieds if people really knew what they needed.

Nice write-up Rob.
Definitely food for thought.