How to search small streams Blue Lining (in Memory of OMJ)

Greg Price

Steelhead
Tom's tips for searching maps of small streams - see link to his you tube below

1. Look to tributaries of trout streams, or headwaters

2. Ground water temps below 60. See video for map of USA ground water temps. In Southern states, try for elevations above 1200 ft

3. At least 2 tributaries

4. Lots of bends

5. Two plus feet of water

6. Farther from easy access generally produces more fish

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A very nice video indeed that points out some of the joys of small stream fishing. It is my favorite kind of trout fishing, primarily because of the off the beaten path places it often takes you.

One small point I would disagree on is Tom's statement that clothing color isn't that important. It really is, especially hats. It is true that fish respond poorly to rapid movement and quickly scatter and although we may move slowly a bright colored hat can be like a flare to the fish. We may move slowly but our head is always bobbing around as we use it as a gyro to stabilize our body movements. And since it is on top of our heads it is that much easier to see. Small clear streams are tough to fish to begin with and anything we can wear that will help us blend into the background is an advantage.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
A very nice video indeed that points out some of the joys of small stream fishing. It is my favorite kind of trout fishing, primarily because of the off the beaten path places it often takes you.

One small point I would disagree on is Tom's statement that clothing color isn't that important. It really is, especially hats. It is true that fish respond poorly to rapid movement and quickly scatter and although we may move slowly a bright colored hat can be like a flare to the fish. We may move slowly but our head is always bobbing around as we use it as a gyro to stabilize our body movements. And since it is on top of our heads it is that much easier to see. Small clear streams are tough to fish to begin with and anything we can wear that will help us blend into the background is an advantage.
x2

Greg Price

Steelhead

Same here. Small stream with my 2 wt is my all time fav. Dull green or brown blends in well.

I fished a lot of small streams in the Eastern Sierras. I used a very nice, small spinning rod. 90% of the time I was casting a small, gold, sinking Rapala. It sounds crazy, but that particular plug was the magic ticket. A nice deep pocket can take a lot of hiking. I would take a lot of time approaching a pool, dressed in full camo with a floppy camo hat. One cast is all you get for the biggest fish in a pool. After that, they are spooked for hours (or days). After a few years I got darn stealthy. When they "spook" or dart for cover, the big fish would never bite. Some places they could feel my footsteps, sometimes I would flush birds, that spooked them. The thought of boldly wading or even walking around in plain sight in those small streams would be simply comical to the fish.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Hi Greg, great video, has me looking forward to the Saturday before labor day.
With my age, really my back, I'm not "Curtis Creek Sneaking" like I used to. With all the Euro-nymphing I've been doing I find I can really get in close as long as I do a few things. Pick a shirt to somewhat match the background. Use the "Deer" technique. Amble up like you belong. Hang at the edge a bit, and fish from back/out of the water as much as possible. If you need to get in move around slowly and easily. Ever notice how fish come after you change a fly? Don't be in a hurry. Take time between presentations as well. I also like to fish downstream, so maybe I'm just contrary. It is easier and I find I make less disturbance most of the time.
Good watch, I'm always ready for stream fishing.

Last edited:

Greg Price

Steelhead
Hi Greg, great video, has me looking forward to the Saturday before labor day.
With my age, really my back, I'm not "Curtis Creek Sneaking" like I used to. With all the Euro-nymphing I've been doing I find I can really get in close as long as I do a few things. Pick a shirt to somewhat match the background. Use the "Deer" technique. Amble up like you belong. Hang at the edge a bit, and fish from back/out of the water as much as possible. If you need to get in move around slowly and easily. Ever notice how fish come after you change a fly? Don't be in a hurry. Take time between presentations as well. I also like to fish downstream, so maybe I'm just contrary. It is easier and I find I make less disturbance most of the time.
Good watch, I'm always ready for stream fishing.
Tom, fishing small streams with you is one of my favorite things. I love to watch you hook 3x as much fish, and larger fish on your well dialed euro method. But as you know, I am thrilled to get less fish but see them snap up my dry fly. Those 9 inch trout in your streams are monsters compared to the 4 to 6 inches on wet side streams. Thank you for sharing your small stream nirvana.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
Yes! I really love fishing dries, small streamers, and wets/soft hackles in small water. Small water browns especially. I don’t have any rod lighter than a 3 weight but love fishing bamboo and glass 3 wts.