How to pass the time...

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Trying to prepare myself... I will be stuck in a hospital bed for about a week real soon. I can only read soo much, and shitposting on PNWFF only takes up a half hour of my day :LOL: so, besides books, magazines, phone, youtube, whatever cable stations they have on that little TV, word games/crosswords. I'm guessing hauling in my fly tying stuff would be frowned upon...

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Last time I was in a hospital for a week (for a nephrectomy) I slept and pee in a bucket. That was pretty much it. I think their wifi was good and had my laptop (at least at Good Sam).

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
If I were in your shoes, I'd bring in a laptop or my own TV and a way to watch streaming services like Amazon video and Netflix. With headphones if you are in a shared room.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I've been in a few week or longer stays before and it gets boring fast, hoping to up my game this time. I do have some nice raycon earbuds this time.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Last time I was in a hospital for a week (for a nephrectomy) I slept and pee in a bucket. That was pretty much it. I think their wifi was good and had my laptop (at least at Good Sam).
Yea, the sleep is nice, but they don't really give out the opioids anymore so sleep might be harder.

Shad

Life of the Party
Work on that outdoors novel you always wanted to write... and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Yeah, I had a kidney and part of my rib removed so they were pretty liberal with them :)
Ouch, are you 100% with one kidney? Do you have to do any special dialysis or anything?

Your posts about going down into canyons got me thinking lately, it will be nice to be able to do that again and keep up with the kids. After a walk up a hill a few days ago maybe only 100 yards I was sucking air, my heart was pounding out of my chest and palpitations. I knew something was wrong, then I got a call last night, something was wrong. So I should be healed up by spring and full of energy again with a new valve 🤞

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ouch, are you 100% with one kidney? Do you have to do any special dialysis or anything?

Your posts about going down into canyons got me thinking lately, it will be nice to be able to do that again and keep up with the kids. After a walk up a hill a few days ago maybe only 100 yards I was sucking air, my heart was pounding out of my chest and palpitations. I knew something was wrong, then I got a call last night, something was wrong. So I should be healed up by spring and full of energy again with a new valve 🤞
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery…Renzetti Traveler, one bobbin & spool of thread, just a couple dubbings/flash etc…see how many different ties you can come up with…

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
So I should be healed up by spring and full of energy again with a new valve 🤞
I had that done about 8 years ago. In the ICU for one day and home on the 4th day. Do the walking they prescribe. I was up and walking the halls a couple hours after anesthesia wore off and 6 to 8 miles a day after a couple weeks. Toughest thing was remembering not to stress the cracked sternum by lifting anything heavy.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
You’ve talked about expanding your garden quite a bit. Maybe bring a sketch pad and map out/plan for the upcoming season. Greenhouse/cloche plans, map out beds and where everything will go. Study crop rotation, best times to plant and take notes etc.

Also making detailed plans for trips you’d like to do this coming season. What you will need, when you can go, what flies/gear to bring, where to camp etc. Get ahead of it and plan it out in advance so you are prepared when the time comes. I know I’m personally more likely to follow through with a trip and be more stoked on it if I’m not stressing at the last minute.

IMO TV and movies only entertain you so long before your brain starts melting into mush. Good luck and speedy recovery!

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I had that done about 8 years ago. In the ICU for one day and home on the 4th day. Do the walking they prescribe. I was up and walking the halls a couple hours after anesthesia wore off and 6 to 8 miles a day after a couple weeks. Toughest thing was remembering not to stress the cracked sternum by lifting anything heavy.
This will be round number 2 for me, last time it was the aorta about 7 years ago. They do kick your butt out of bed fast! Last time I when I came to they asked if I wanted coffee, then moved me out of ICU and got me up and walking, and blowing on that lung expander.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
IMO TV and movies only entertain you so long before your brain starts melting into mush. Good luck and speedy recovery!
Oh yea, I can't do much TV or games. I'll definitely have a nice yellow legal pad for list making and diagrams. Keeping your mind active is a plus.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Books on tape. Check out the Libby app, connects you to your local library’s collection. If you’re into sci fi, the expanse series has one of the best narrators.