How to dye a buck tail

Bagman

Steelhead
I seem to have more white bucktails than I need I would like to dye a few, but have no idea how. Has anyone successfully done this?

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Go for it (y)

I've done a bunch using Kool Aid, Rit, Veniards, and some other dyes.

IMG_5708[1].jpg

It's not hard and you don't need a bunch of special equipment or supplies. For example, 4 packets of Kool Aid Iced Blue Raspberry Lemonade, an old 10 cup coffee carafe, a hot plate, 6 or 8 cups of water, some Dawn dishwashing soap, a thermometer, and a half cup of vinegar will make an awesome Kingfisher Blue.

Like Mickey Rat posted above, ScottP has perfected small batch dyeing in the microwave. I've never done bucktail in a microwave. Because there is sooo much material/substrate in one bucktail, I suspect a longer dye bath is necessary. For instance, many of the bucktails I did took at least an hour and some took all day and two or more dye baths. Still, don't let this deter you....what have you got to lose?

My first recommendation is to buy, borrow, or steal a copy of AK Best's book. He covers everything and it's what gave me the confidence to give it a try.

IMG_5709[1].JPG

Have at it and have fun...before you know it you'll be dyeing all kinds of stuff and have more supplies than you'll use in a lifetime ;)

IMG_5710[1].JPG
Mike d

Last minute edit.....know that some colors are tough to do...at least they were for me. For instance, it took me a number of attempts to get an olive I was happy with. That said, have fun with it and don't expect perfection right away. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_5708[1].jpg
    IMG_5708[1].jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Felt I should back up my ‘claim’ 😀

There’s at least 6 boxes not on frame.
A5552D5D-2197-48DC-BAD8-A3EF30A5C35D.jpeg
Dave

Last edited:

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
After review I’m down 6 or more Tupperware as compared to your epic collection….I need to buy/collect more stuff 😀

Dave

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Your roll top desk is pretty cool but yeah, you need to get some more stuff.😏

I had a couple containers out of sight, too….so now you’re down 15+ 😎CDB85FC2-48B3-4C69-978D-30D075B395D6.jpeg

Now if only I made or took the time to tie bunch of flies 🤪

Final edit….I couldn’t resist….had to add this just for grins

7C0ED863-47CF-4F16-B373-987C865A55FC.jpg
“mine’s bigger”….

Last edited: