How many steelhead flies do you really need?

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I usually bring 1 or 2 slim Wheatley box’s and only carry one. I mess around switching flys back and forth at camp in the evening when I’m bored. Like most have said, out of all the Steelhead patterns I might fish like 4 of them😂

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Don’t know yet, still tying them to find out. Seems to be more than dozens.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I usually bring 1 or 2 slim Wheatley box’s and only carry one. I mess around switching flys back and forth at camp in the evening when I’m bored. Like most have said, out of all the Steelhead patterns I might fish like 4 of them😂
Similar for me. I usually put together my "Day Box" the night before or early morning while the coffee is brewing.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Close, but actually the hare's ear has taken more the last two years. Clarkman likes his naked but I like a sparkly bead. Question answer, two.
View attachment 81179
Tom,
Do you ever swing a little mini lady caroline thru your home waters?
With how well you do on the HE, I'm fairly confident you'd get some decent action on a swung mini lady caroline.
Might be kind of fun to try.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Tom,
Do you ever swing a little mini lady caroline thru your home waters?
With how well you do on the HE, I'm fairly confident you'd get some decent action on a swung mini lady caroline.
Might be kind of fun to try.
I have not, but I'll check it out. I should go back to trying that method, kinda became stuck running heavy stuff down seams and slots.

Last edited:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Honestly, for any summer run fish...swingin' or strippin', it'd be pretty tough to beat that.

probably get a pile of by-catch hungry redsides on that too!
True, but also why I'm sometimes hesitant to run a top-water fly at all there. Love redsides...just not when I'm trying to coax a steelie.
#steelheadblocked? :unsure:

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
It’s a black egg licking leech for me. In different sizes I could fish them year round.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I once floated the klickitat solo. I left my fly box in the truck. All I had was the muddler I had tied on my rod. I think I rose one fish that day.. I also left my wallet and therfore my fishing license in my truck. I fished but it was not a relaxing day.

For summers all you need is a muddler and a skunk.

For winters? A purple fly, a red fly and a black and blue fly.. simple marabou patterns are best because they take so little time to tie that you don't mind losing a few each day.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I also left my wallet and therfore my fishing license in my truck. I fished but it was not a relaxing day.
I know that feeling, I realized I left my license in my PDF the other day and turned around 1/2 way to the river.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I know that feeling, I realized I left my license in my PDF the other day and turned around 1/2 way to the river.
The one time I got stopped by a game warden is the one time I couldn't find my license. He was pretty cool fortunately, he just told me "I'll tell you what, you seem legit, I really doubt you are pulling a fast one on me. Let me see some ID: I'll go back to my car, look you up, and if you aren't in my system you'll get a ticket in the mail.". He also asked me if there was any illegal fishing going on at one of the holes downriver, to which I answered no

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I once floated the klickitat solo. I left my fly box in the truck. All I had was the muddler I had tied on my rod. I think I rose one fish that day.. I also left my wallet and therfore my fishing license in my truck. I fished but it was not a relaxing day.

For winters? A purple fly, a red fly and a black and blue fly.. simple marabou patterns are best because they take so little time to tie that you don't mind losing a few each day.
I did the opposite on the Klick! Haha.
I left my old faithful William Joseph chest pack, with the old Perrine #95 full of flies, tip wallet full of tips, license and punch card inside on a run between Leidl and Stinson. I had taken it off to pee. ☹️ We then fished a couple runs below it and then took out at Stinson. It wasn't until then I realized I had left it. We didn't hook or land anything after that run so I didn't need the punch card.
We had planned to leave for home in the morning after some road water, but my buddy knew the value of that stupid pack and all the stuff in it. We agreed we should do a really quick float, Leidl to Stinson, the next morning to retrieve it. It was right where I had left it.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter

Muddlers yes, Skunk no. Substitute an AJ Spade for the Skunk, though a Green Butt Purple Skunk was a consistent producer for me on the Klickitat.