How many cigs did it take?

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
A funny aside…a guy in our diving group in Hawaii was the original Marlboro Man…good thing he just had to look good on a horse with a cowboy hat on and not speak, since he was French and had a thick French accent…

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I was a smoler back then, gòt a Joe Camel beach towel, was trying to get that Marlboro back pack, my sister ended up getting it for me for Christmas, had all her friends from the bar she worked get the pionts needed. I have know idea where that went LOL

CRequa

Steelhead
I was a smoler back then, gòt a Joe Camel beach towel, was trying to get that Marlboro back pack, my sister ended up getting it for me for Christmas, had all her friends from the bar she worked get the pionts needed. I have know idea where that went LOL
Well we know where they went after all them cigs lol

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Marlboro miles, camel cash. Man, cig marketing was EVERYWHERE back in the day, wasn't it. I wonder what they'd be doing in the internet age if they hadn't had their advertising limited?

I say take it out for a day of combo fishing this spring and make a trip report about it. Fresh clean outdoor air is the best thing that could come out of all those packs some poor sucker had to smoke to get it.

1702397393553.png

BigSplashTom

Steelhead
View attachment 94214My oldest son just scored this fly/ spinning combo from a buddy that was moving for free, kind of interesting. View attachment 94215

That is so unreal.
There you are in the wilderness breathing fresh clean air, casting to rising trout with your Marlboro rod.
How could a marketing team even think this was a good idea?
So crazy, hey it's time for another Marlboro because I see more fish rising

• Haha
Reactions: RCF

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
That is so unreal.
There you are in the wilderness breathing fresh clean air, casting to rising trout with your Marlboro rod.
How could a marketing team even think this was a good idea?
So crazy, hey it's time for another Marlboro because I see more fish rising

Clearly you were never a smoker :p
And the meketing was genius, as every cig manufacturer was doing this at the time

I would have a cig going while riding my MT bike or skiing. Was the only way to get my lungs to expand haha.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
And the meketing was genius, as every cig manufacturer was doing this at the time

I would have a cig going while riding my MT bike or skiing. Was the only way to get my lungs to expand haha.
I was a smoker. I've not had a cigarette since 2004. I simply switched to nicotine gum.

BigSplashTom

Steelhead

Your right, I never smoked. 3 of my older brothers smoked.
Pretty tough watching their morning routines when we were camping or fishing.
It convinced me to not smoke.

Stoneflywelding

Sometimes I go fishing.
Forum Supporter
When I was a kid my dad and I would go on walks along the highway and busy roads of southern New Mexico, picking up all the Marlboro boxes we could find. People just love throwing shit out the window and I simply cannot understand that mentality. My dad was not a smoker but he sure loves free shit 🤣

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
My sole experience with smoking cigarettes was during Marine Corps boot camp in San Diego over 50 years ago.

On those rare occasions the drill instructors decided we were worthy of reward they'd declare the 'smoking lamp was lit' and we could 'smok'em' while standing at ease in formation. I don't remember DI's that didn't smoke.

Old Marines will remember that experience on 'the grinder' at MCRD SD or PI. Cigarettes of most brands were included in little packs of 4 in each C-Rat...and favored brands were the subject of intense bartering.

Non-smokers had to police the area during the event...which included picking up cigarette butts probably discarded by DI's and civilians.

As a non-smoker I naturally found the prospect of picking up butts rather aggravating, so I elected to smoke during such sessions.

Surprised I never became addicted. Never understood the allure of a substance that produces no high, but very effectively manages to create the frantic and helpless need to smoke more so as to avoid discomfort. Ingenious drug delivery system

Perhaps having parents who smoked 3+ packs a day each might have had some personal impact.

Last edited:

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
As a kid in the 60’s I watched as my great Uncle struggled and died from emphysema caused by smoking. It had a real affect on me, and I vowed to never smoke.
I was left with his and my Aunt’s blue -collar bamboo Heddon fly rods which got me into that wonderful world, so am forever grateful.