How important is the cork?

The CCGT (cork chunks glued together) grips I think are tougher than real cork grips. So far so good, I’ve made 7 and no problems yet. The third one I darkened with a dark wood wax. The quality of real wine cork isn’t as good as expensive cork rings made for grips.
Steve. I compared some of my prized wine corks (yes, I keep some corks after the vino is consumed) to the grips on my only self made build, and a couple of production rods. None of them were large enough (in diameter) to form the bulge at the forward end of the grip. I noticed that you use a threaded rod with nuts and washers to clamp for gluing (?). Doest that increase the diameter?

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Hi Michael, the cool thing is you boil the corks for around 15 minutes and they puff up to their original size and shape! Even champagne corks that look like a mushroom puff up! Here’s some before and after pictures. I use champagne corks for larger grip areas. The all thread is my glue clamp and then I chuck it in my electric drill held in a bench vise to shape the grips.
3A6C1435-6355-438B-93A5-98A25BAEC49A.jpeg

Last edited:

Kado

Steelhead
Hi Michael, the cool thing is you boil the corks for around 15 minutes and they puff up to their original size and shape! Even champagne corks that look like a mushroom puff up! Here’s some before and after pictures. I use champagne corks for larger grip areas. The all thread is my glue clamp and then I chuck it in my electric drill held in a bench vise to shape the grips.
View attachment 60370
Do you have to weigh them down in the water at all?

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You would think that A-grade, or even AAA-grade, implies top quality cork...but that isn't the case. In fact, the A-grades are some of the worst I've seen. I've had really good luck with "extra-select" grade. It's much less $$ than flor grade, and I find it works well w/o having to use filler.