How can ya tell

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Last week I was fishing the South Umpqua above Days ck.
I'm fishing with a Yellow Sally X on a 2x long #12.
Third cast I hooked a nice size trout, then it was off.
A few more casts as I moved down stream I hooked a nice RB of about 10".
I didn't take a close look at this fat little trout, just ran my hand down to the fly a release it.
Down stream a little more I had a larger trout flash at my fly as I was stripping in to recast.
I made another cast and a nice long drift over where that trout flashed at me, nothing.
The current sucks my dry under and I strip in again and that bigger trout flashed my fly again.
While the fly is still under water I let it drift back through the pocket that trout was in and pow he hits my fly hard and we are hooked up.
What a great fight on my 3wt.
I get this 19" hatchery steelhead in and give it the bonk.
My question is. Has this hatchery steelhead been to sea or this it a resident from being released from the hatchery last spring.
I figure to be 19" it had to be in the river one summer and a winter, maybe?
The hatchery is in Canyonville about 10 miles down stream from where I caught is fish.
We eat this fish that evening and it was real good, the flesh was not bright pink like a sea run.
The fish right out of the river was dime bright.
Anyway that was my second steelhead on a fly.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I don’t recall the S Umpqua having a summer run. My guess, a resident hatchery trout who had escaped all of life’s struggles (that was until it met the dirty dog) and had eaten well.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Being dime brite, I would guess its a stray.

Congrats on the steelie.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
In the literature and watching pit tags, some of the steelhead in our streams don't go back out, they will ping again at a station the following year. Nice catch.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I fished that section of the S Umpqua again yesterday and didn't hook up any trout.
I had some strikes from small fish.
I drove up the river above Tiller and did pretty well.
Some 12" RB's and some 12 plus Coastal cutts
All were wild, no fin clips

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just a guess..........but, half pounder? I've caught plenty on the Rogue but usually in September.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I believe, technically, if it hasn't been to sea, it cannot be considered a steelhead. But the bios here may correct me.
What little I know about fin clipped hatchery trout/steelhead, is they are steelhead no matter what size or if they have been to sea.
Like the planted trout in Diamond lake are not fin clipped.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Size Matters in Oregon streams and river. A certain size of length can determine whether it will be classified as a steelhead or not, irregardless of it being sea-run…different rivers have different size determinations as well.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Size Matters in Oregon streams and river. A certain size of length can determine whether it will be classified as a steelhead or not, irregardless of it being sea-run…different rivers have different size determinations as well.

I believe if it’s over 20” is the designation.