How big of fish can a 3wt Euro rod handle?

Yhandi

Smolt
I want to fish for summer steelhead with my 3wt euro rod this summer, but I don't think that it can handle an 8lb fish. I don't know if I should purchase a 4wt or not. What do yall think?

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
You don't target Steelhead with a 3wt unless you're a masochist. I'm assuming these would be hatchery Steelhead . . .if native fish are present it's a whole other story.

Bycatch is unavoidable - I've played and landed both Silvers and Chum on a 3wt while Euronymphing. This was not intentional, both under 8lbs, and I used every trick in the book (and 8lb fluoro tippet) to get them to shore so I could recover my flies. It was not fun.

You can also hunt Grizzlies with a machete. Not advisable but YMMV -

Yhandi

Smolt
You don't target Steelhead with a 3wt unless you're a masochist. I'm assuming these would be hatchery Steelhead . . .if native fish are present it's a whole other story.

Bycatch is unavoidable - I've played and landed both Silvers and Chum on a 3wt while Euronymphing. This was not intentional, both under 8lbs, and I used every trick in the book (and 8lb fluoro tippet) to get them to shore so I could recover my flies. It was not fun.

You can also hunt Grizzlies with a machete. Not advisable but YMMV -
Native fish.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
If this is a serious thread, then I think it's an important teaching moment.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. But most Euro 4wt rods are really more of a 5/6wt in the lower sections, so can put some power on the fish if need be. Still, it's not a great setup for safely fighting to fish so they can be revived and released. If you go too light, those fish will exhaust themselves while you play them out and they likely won't survive.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Based on the ones I have handled ( never fished)
I'd say trout up to 25 inches or so.

This is accurate, IMO. You could probably go higher, but I wouldn't.

Folks use 4-5wts for those fake east coast steelhead. For a proper PNW steelhead, there's some specialized 6wt euro rods around. Soldarini and T&T make some, I believe.

Yhandi

Smolt
This is accurate, IMO. You could probably go higher, but I wouldn't.

Folks use 4-5wts for those fake east coast steelhead. For a proper PNW steelhead, there's some specialized 6wt euro rods around. Soldarini and T&T make some, I believe.
yeah, I think you're right. Last thing I want to do is hurt the fish. The Thread was kinda a joke but I was a little curious about how people would respond. I did catch a 24'' steelhead last summer that was wild on a 3 wt, the thing is the fish was not very heavy. Was just a joke though. I was not targeting them however.

castsN2trees

The fish are calling...
Forum Supporter
All caught on a 3wt euro and 6lb tippet… I’ve always been of the opinion that the weight of the rod had more to do with the size of the fly you cast with it, not the size of the fish you catch with it… btw the chinook and the sockeye were unintentional bycatches….

EA72A1C1-2EAF-4756-B330-35CCEC5A3FAF.jpeg28894C69-B9FA-4FED-957F-EE037B09D9D6.jpegDE27AD93-4BE8-49AE-B9A8-46C471FB56DA.jpegCF0B57B9-D6E6-46CD-87C5-AE398BA0495F.jpeg72FDD73E-AF47-4B61-A3B3-855E90E519DA.jpeg935C6B43-F1F2-45B8-A387-B51C435DCB5A.jpeg46FED2A7-89D1-4101-9A6C-48860324D246.jpeg

TylerSadowski

Just Hatched
I want to fish for summer steelhead with my 3wt euro rod this summer, but I don't think that it can handle an 8lb fish. I don't know if I should purchase a 4wt or not. What do yall think?
NO! They are not heavy enough and the tippet you will be using to get a proper drift is much too small for fish that size.

Yhandi

Smolt
All caught on a 3wt euro and 6lb tippet… I’ve always been of the opinion that the weight of the rod had more to do with the size of the fly you cast with it, not the size of the fish you catch with it… btw the chinook and the sockeye were unintentional bycatches….

View attachment 5610View attachment 5611View attachment 5612View attachment 5613View attachment 5614View attachment 5615View attachment 5616
No lie... landing a chinook on a 3wt is surprising. I think that this can be detrimental to a large fishes health by exausting them.

I've caught 18+ inch cutties on a 3wt up on the Elk river. Not by design mind you, twas targeting something smaller but sh*t happens :)

Stew

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin