Non-Fly Hoochies vs Spoons for Salmon Trolling

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Does it really make a difference which you run? I learned the fishery mostly by doing what John from Johns sporting goods does, and for the most part he runs green glow and white UV hoochies for Coho, and green or black and white spoons for Chinook. (For a tackle store owner, I appreciate that he does not try to sell you on every lure under the sun and keeps it simple.) Obviously changing small details every so often but the general pattern stays the same.

Occasionally I will see him and other successful anglers run hoochies for Kings, and I have had scores of Resident Coho hammer my ”Chinook” spoons. I understand that somewhat like fly fishing you should select lures that effectively mimic the baitfish currently being foraged on, but looking up close, the large hoochies/ace high flies look like pretty damn good herring, anchovy, and sandlance imitations. The spoons are precisely as good. Does it really make a difference which you run? Is there ever a reason to run one over the other? I know plugs are a good way to target larger adults and limit encounters with shakers, and run them for that very reason when shakers are thick or when I am looking for a hog, but I have never been able to find convincing literature online explaining when to do one over the other. Unless someone who knows more than me can tell me a good reason, I feel like running a hoochie is just exponentially more cost effective unless you want to fish a spoon without a flasher

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Have caught both on both, fish what your gut is telling you, or feels right. Sometimes it's better to fish what everyone is not fishing!
If catching a ton of shakers go bigger, large plugs are always a good choice!

The first trip to Critter Cove in Nootka Sound everyone fished sardines with helmets and complex rigging. I just ran a cutt plug herring and and my rod out fished the the other 2 by 10/2.

IMO, location, depth, tides, speed and direction in the tide makes more of a difference!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Critter Cove! I brought a big fish of the day hat back from there.

headduck

Steelhead
In my experience everything works.

Master 1 style/bait and then branch out if you want to challenge yourself.

Fish whatever gives you the most confidence.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have caught both on both, fish what your gut is telling you, or feels right. Sometimes it's better to fish what everyone is not fishing!
If catching a ton of shakers go bigger, large plugs are always a good choice!

The first trip to Critter Cove in Nootka Sound everyone fished sardines with helmets and complex rigging. I just ran a cutt plug herring and and my rod out fished the the other 2 by 10/2.

IMO, location, depth, tides, speed and direction in the tide makes more of a difference!

Yes, but a well done plug cut is becoming a lost art.