Holiday Fly Tying Contest ~ Stay Salty!

With the holidays coming my thoughts turn to family, friends, social obligations, work obligations, dinners, brunch, gift exchanges, hugs, small talk, fake smiles, group photos..... Then my thoughts turn to being someplace else! Preferably somewhere with sand and salt! The topic for this challenge is saltwater flies. Leaving this one open until the new year.

1699520441520.png

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I have wanted to fish or SRC's in salt water for a number of years now. Are there opportunities in Oregon?

I think it is more of a tidewater game when it comes to src and the salt down there, but I’m not 100% sure.
@RRSmith might have some helpful input.
SF

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have wanted to fish or SRC's in salt water for a number of years now. Are there opportunities in Oregon?
Brian is correct - it's more of a tidewater game. There are opportunities in virtually any Oregon estuary. During the summer months with low river flows, the lower tidewater is essentially ocean water. My favorite place to target estuary cutts are in and around eelgrass beds. We start looking for them as soon as the trout season opens but they seem to be most abundant during July and August. There's a component of the coastal cutthroat population that spends most of their life cycle in estuaries which is not unlike what goes on in Puget Sound. The other tip is to just keep moving until you find them.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Free-styling at the vise with polar chenille, mallard and jig hooks… Calling this one a “Candy Cane Minnow”:
IMG_4617.jpegIMG_4615.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My experiment with Crockett’s Sili Skin and the Gummy Minnow style
IMG_0840.jpeg
Single layer of Sili skin cut with Crease fly cutter. Bucktail and flash tail, Color added with markers. Small rattle added at top of hook shank just behind hook eye. Sealed with UV resin. Tied up over a dozen of these for the Florida gulf and have only four left. These are a bit ragged as they have been stored in a small ziplock but they straighten up when wet. Has proven extremely effective on Speckled Trout, Ladyfish and Grouper on the flats. Unweighted and fished with 30’ SONAR sinktip. The thin profile creates a lot of movement when retrieved.