Hobby Lobby visit

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
Visited a HOBBY LOBBY today for the first time. WOW, they sure have a lot of "stuff". Found 12"x 18" quality 2mm foam sheets for $.99 a sheet. Hareline and Wapsi get 4x that. HL also carries lots of beads including the popular silver lined red glass beads in a variety of sizes at best price I've seen.

FWIW.IMG_1844.jpg

Shad

Life of the Party
All fabric/craft stores are great places to find cheap tying materials. My local JoAnn Fabrics store has figured out that fly tiers shop there, and they have an aisle there now that could only be for us, because the variety of stuff in that aisle makes zero sense outside the context of fly tying. They don't have technical stuff or quality feathers, but what a selection of beads, googly eyes, and chenille!

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
All fabric/craft stores are great places to find cheap tying materials. My local JoAnn Fabrics store has figured out that fly tiers shop there, and they have an aisle there now that could only be for us, because the variety of stuff in that aisle makes zero sense outside the context of fly tying. They don't have technical stuff or quality feathers, but what a selection of beads, googly eyes, and chenille!
Thanks I’ll check out our JoAnn Fabrics. It recently moved and by the looks of the storefront, it must be larger. For a while, I was on the quest to find a replacement yarn for my favorite Deschutes steelhead fly. It was available at the fly shop in Maupin, but eventually they ran out. I visited a number of yarn shops on my travels around the PNW without success. One day I was browsing on the internet and found the EXACT color match of the yarn at Hobby Lobby. Took my last few inches of the original yarn to the store and it was the perfect color. Yarn is lower quality than the original but I have several lifetime’s supply in the skein that I bought. Let the fly shop owner know and they bought an entire lot of the same yarn to continue producing the fly. Never know what you will find in craft stores.

RCF

Life of the Party
Carpet store rug/carpet samples can be a great source of wool/antron/polyester dubbing materials for free.

Last edited:

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Given some of your latest patterns posted here I'd think a car parts store might be just as appropriate. 😜

Shad

Life of the Party
Given some of your latest patterns posted here I'd think a car parts store might be just as appropriate. 😜
You'll see. When I post the pics of the hawgs I'm ropin' on the Tacky Worm this spring, there will be lines out the door of every craft store. No auto parts, though. They got some good stuff, but it's all too rich for my blood.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
JoAnn’s has been losing foam sheet market share to Hobby Lobby and Michael’s for a long time now. 😉
Hobby Lobby is great if you like to make your own fly boxes.
SF