Hiking boots and a bit more

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have been a Merrel Moab and Salomon hiking boot fan for a couple of decades plus now. Two years ago I was in Central Oregon a tad south of the SunRiver Resort area. We got caught in a winter storm after the week preceding being in the low to mid 70’s. The second day there with 20° night time highs and snow piling on us I drove the family to REI in bend to get some more appropriate gear for our next 4-5 days of spring snow adventure. Out of this came to date my favorite hiking boots. Not that I have ever had any bad hiking boots (other than a Coleman pair 😉).

So after today I believe these are the best to date I have had (albeit two years old). But they have about 80-90 plus mile on them in some nasty conditions for 80% of those miles. Comfortable, nice toe box, accommodates medium and thick socks easily, good laces, and grommets (a mix of string cloth and metal, better water resistant than any previous shoes… I have had keens sandals for 30+ years and have had no issues. Never gave them a thought on hiking boots. But they seem tough and durable. For some reason until a couple years ago and due to lack of sizes in other boots I went with these keens. I’m loving them First pair are Keens. Wife has Salomon’s next to them . Rinsed and at fire place after a muddy and dirty hike. 😉 View attachment 106285

.image.jpg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
My water "proof" Merrel hiking boots lost whatever water resistance they had even though there's still lots of hiking life left in the boots (great boots it's just that my feet get wet hiking through cheat grass, etc). I went to the American Shoe Shop in Wenatchee, tried on several pairs of boots, Keen's were light weight, they are keeping my feet dry and they're very comfortable.

I have some Keene hiking boots and they are okay but I have so many other hiking boots I prefer over the Keene. I really like Asolo as a manufacturer but they are more pricey but they last. I also have had some REI branded Raichle that were / are a black leather and they were resoled by Dave Page in Fremont. They are so comfortable but the original soles had some issues. I have had repeated issues with Keene lately though. I have probably worn Keene for over 10 years and the average sole life is about 1 maybe 1.25 years and they start to pull off the soles in places. I have lately gone to using Shoe Goo on the loose soles and clean it all out prior to and let it dry for over 2 days and then blue tape off the areas around where I am going to glue. I lather in the Shoe Goo with a BBQ skewer in and under the respective issue sole problem and then set it aside for at least 2 days and sometimes I have to clean up the glued area and then glue it again. After 2 gluings it seems to be pretty good but it makes me upset to pay $160.00 for a pair of Keenes and then have them last 1.25 years and I have to then go to it with Shoe Goo. Seems wrong for a shoe that costs that much. I really like the Asolo and Raichle boots over the Keenes and have so many miles on the Raichles. They are hands down the best boot I have ever had once resoled by Dave Page. Keenes have given me issues.

Divad

Whitefish
Depending on the crowd, my unpopular opinion is that the best hiking boots are my trail runners. The Ray Way for me!
1710040390058.gif

Was hoping that was mentioned already, I’m in the same boat. All my hiking shoes but one pair are trail runners. I only use the boots when I’m slogging snow, and even then I’ve been known to run gators with runners.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
View attachment 106295

Was hoping that was mentioned already, I’m in the same boat. All my hiking shoes but one pair are trail runners. I only use the boots when I’m slogging snow, and even then I’ve been known to run gators with runners.
Gore Tex runners with gators in the snow!

I’ll never go back to real hiking boots.

RCF

Life of the Party
Please help me out here. In my experience having great support for the ankles is very important. Lightweight boots may provide the necessary support with newer technology. But 'may' is the operative word. Having to endure looking at my ankle on the rock and then taking 6 hours ' walking 'out 2 1/2 miles was not good at all followed by 10 weeks of a cast was horrible. Based on my experience Lightweight is not as important as proper support. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am in a mixed camp. Decades of hiking and I have never rolled an ankle enough to change eta's, so I really like trail runners unless i have a heavy pack and I know it's a rooted or woody long hike.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Please help me out here. In my experience having great support for the ankles is very important. Lightweight boots may provide the necessary support with newer technology. But 'may' is the operative word. Having to endure looking at my ankle on the rock and then taking 6 hours walking out 2 1/2 miles was not good at all followed by 10 weeks of a cast was horrible. Based on my experience Lightweight is not as important as proper support. What are your thoughts?
You can roll your ankle just as easily in boots and in fact, I would argue it’s easier to roll your ankle in boots.

Let’s be honest, the majority of our hiking is on well maintained trails. Often it’s not the shoes the cause you to roll your ankle, it’s the person using them. Be more intentional as a walker and hiker and you’ll learn to love them.

The other thing I HATE about hiking boots is the lack of feel. They’re so thick and clunky that they actually cause me to roll my ankle more because I can’t feel the ground under my feet. When I’m in trail runners, I can feel where my feet are and what’s under them. This allows me to be more intentional and therefore almost never roll or twist my ankle.

YMMV

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I really like my Vasque Sundowners. Light, comfortable, Gore Tex, one piece leather, good ankle support.

Mukman

Life of the Party
My son is a special forces officer. Came back from his first trip in Afghanistan, told me do get these. I did and never looked back. Incredibly waterproof, very stable and the most comfortable shoes I own. Was going to wear them to a wedding but got the stink eye from my wife.

Lowa Renegade.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I've had several pairs of Keens and Merrells over the past 15 years, but noticed their quality (in terms of durability, specifically the sewn seams) declining. Switched to Oboz a few years back, and am very happy with them.

Back in the day (1970's) I loved my heavy all-leather Vasque Hiker boots...extremely durable (and had replaceable Vibram soles) but took a great deal of time to properly break in for total comfort, yet stiff enough to 'front point' crampons.

Today's boots start out much more comfortable, but are basically disposable items.

As for 'water-proof' boots....none of the current modern GoreTex lined boots compare to a full leather boot that's been well maintained with applications of SnoSeal properly applied with a hair dry blower.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I've had several pairs of Keens and Merrells over the past 15 years, but noticed their quality (in terms of durability, specifically the sewn seams) declining. Switched to Oboz a few years back, and am very happy with them.

Back in the day (1970's) I loved my heavy leather Vasque Hiker boots...extremely durable (and had replaceable Vibram soles) but took a great deal of time to properly break in for total comfort. Today's boots start out much more comfortable, but are basically disposable items.
I have also experienced soles and rands delaminating on trail runners and light hiking boots with little more than 20 days of actual use. I have some fairly new old school (full grain rough out leather, Norwegian welt) Alico Summit boots that I use for rockhounding where trail runners and modern lightweight Asolo hiking boots just weren't giving me the stability, support, and foot protection I need on steep scree slopes and dry washes.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have a pair of Keen gore tex hiking boots. Bought them before I learned that gore tex is a waste in hiking boots, as the water gets in the tops anyway and then takes much longer to dry out. Also, with not that many miles, the lugs on one sole began delaminating already with the boots barely looking used. Bought Merrill Moabs for desert hiking 13 years ago and been using them ever since. The ankle support of taller heavier boots isn't as real as we'd like to think, as Mcswny mentions in his post above. I've adopted the practice of the hard core distance hikers: if it rains, or the grass is wet, or you have to cross an unbridged stream, you get wet feet. Keep hiking, they dry out faster than heavy leather boots. I also read that a pound of boot on your foot is like an additional six pounds on your back. At my age, I want to keep my load light.

I still have an old pair of Vasque Sundowners. Nice boots, but heavy as a tank compared to modern trail runners. I'm sold on Merrill Moabs (or similar) for cross country and boulder scrambling, not just trails that are smooth as side walks.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I have a pair of Keen gore tex hiking boots. Bought them before I learned that gore tex is a waste in hiking boots, as the water gets in the tops anyway and then takes much longer to dry out. Also, with not that many miles, the lugs on one sole began delaminating already with the boots barely looking used. Bought Merrill Moabs for desert hiking 13 years ago and been using them ever since. The ankle support of taller heavier boots isn't as real as we'd like to think, as Mcswny mentions in his post above. I've adopted the practice of the hard core distance hikers: if it rains, or the grass is wet, or you have to cross an unbridged stream, you get wet feet. Keep hiking, they dry out faster than heavy leather boots. I also read that a pound of boot on your foot is like an additional six pounds on your back. At my age, I want to keep my load light.

I still have an old pair of Vasque Sundowners. Nice boots, but heavy as a tank compared to modern trail runners. I'm sold on Merrill Moabs (or similar) for cross country and boulder scrambling, not just trails that are smooth as side walks.
Everybody knows tha SealSkinz socks are the only reputable solution for keeping your feet dry during wading events. 😆