High Desert Creek

This past weekend we were able to get our kid one last backpacking trip in before the weather starts to change (my wife and I will still backpack independently, but the 4 year old is a fair weather fan). This is one of our favorite, easy spots that the kiddo can hike in, while still feel remote and more importantly, there's no garbage or toilet paper. It's only about 1.5 miles down in a canyon with 600 vertical feet so its easy on those tiny legs. Naturally, there's a fishable creek that happens to be a trib of a well known river.

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.11.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.11.15 PM.png

This is a creek that while I've fished a handful of times, I've never really got to truly explore much more than the ~500 yards of camp water since I'm always with my family. It's a really small stream, even close to the confluence (rarely larger than 15-20 feet across and often closer to 10 feet. I've personally caught fish up to 14" which in this water is a blast. Someday, I'll get here sans kid (or at least more grown up kid) so I explore more--but in the meantime I love what I can get.

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.11.24 PM.png

On Saturday (during the day), the weather was great, the stream was in good condition and fish were eating. I had my (new to me) Livingston Rod Co 885 and instantly fell in love. It has the power to cast but still made 8" fish fun. Granted, this is a creek that I essentially dont need to cast on, I found some stretches where I could just let it loose down (or upstream) to see would it could do. Paired with a 406 DT it could cast incredibly delicately, accurately, but ALSO cast a decent sized hopper dropper rig. It was also super light in hand. I'm fucking sold. I already found an even better of a deal on the 7wt version for smallies. My kid, naturally had her Echo Gecko :)

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.11.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.11.38 PM.png

Unfortunately as the afternoon wore on, a decent sized storm cell rolled in and we were surrounded by some pretty good thunder and rain. We took refuge in our tent where we drew and painted with water colors (we've gotten trapped in the rain a handful of times with the kid and always come prepared with art supplies for the tent).

The next day was pleasant, we continued to fish where I got the hog of the trip--a 12" rainbow on a hopper. Hiked out, and proceeded to get soft serve at the Sno Cap.

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.12.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.12.04 PM.png
B24656E4-6BFF-485E-8AD0-EAC8ABB6B43A.jpg

@Stonedfish To answer your question: while I don't get as many "hours" fishing, god damn I love the summer time. It's the time I'm outside, fishing, camping AND spending time with my family. Sure, I get more alone time to fish harder during the Spring, Fall and Winter, but it's different and doesn't fill my cup up the same way.

Last edited:

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looks like a great time!

Just a heads up that the way you imported the pics if one hovers over a pic it shows the stored file name which includes the creek name.

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Looks like a great time!

Just a heads up that the way you imported the pics if one hovers over a pic it shows the stored file name which includes the creek name.
I think he's trying to fake us out... anyone with half a brain can tell this is the Owyhee...

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
FIXED! Thanks for the heads up 🤦‍♂️
I've also gone back to all my past trip reports and fixed.

Last edited:
Glad to see someone else doesn't mind dragging their young daughter along on adventures. We had ours out backpacking into lakes at that age as well! She's 6 now, I think she might finally get a fly rod for Christmas.

I'll never forget a couple years ago me and the wife took her bear hunting with us. It was a front country experience, but she and the wife were there when yogi decided to show up. My daughter was adamant about going down into that canyon(about a 700ft drop over a 1/3 of a mile from where we shot, which was about 300 vertical feet from the top of the ridge). My wife was hesitant but we decided to oblige. If you've never hunted bear, know they often don't show up when its convenient and this one was no different as it was almost dark when we got to him and got to work. We finally got finished around 1130 and needed to start the trek back up the canyon. She cried the entire way back up... we knew it was gonna be tough. We stopped where we made the shot from to take a rest and she fell asleep in seconds sitting on my wife's lap. We finally made it back to the truck, and when I got in after dumping the pack in the bed my daughter pipes up from the back "daddy daddy you got a bear!! are we going to go back to camp and eat it now!?" like the trek out never even happened. :ROFLMAO:

The day after that trip my wife discovered she was pregnant with our now almost 2 year old boy... and it does get harder with two kids.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Glad to see someone else doesn't mind dragging their young daughter along on adventures. We had ours out backpacking into lakes at that age as well! She's 6 now, I think she might finally get a fly rod for Christmas.

I'll never forget a couple years ago me and the wife took her bear hunting with us. It was a front country experience, but she and the wife were there when yogi decided to show up. My daughter was adamant about going down into that canyon(about a 700ft drop over a 1/3 of a mile from where we shot, which was about 300 vertical feet from the top of the ridge). My wife was hesitant but we decided to oblige. If you've never hunted bear, know they often don't show up when its convenient and this one was no different as it was almost dark when we got to him and got to work. We finally got finished around 1130 and needed to start the trek back up the canyon. She cried the entire way back up... we knew it was gonna be tough. We stopped where we made the shot from to take a rest and she fell asleep in seconds sitting on my wife's lap. We finally made it back to the truck, and when I got in after dumping the pack in the bed my daughter pipes up from the back "daddy daddy you got a bear!! are we going to go back to camp and eat it now!?" like the trek out never even happened. :ROFLMAO:

The day after that trip my wife discovered she was pregnant with our now almost 2 year old boy... and it does get harder with two kids.

God damn this is a good story!

Yeah, I'm not going to have the two kiddo issue, took care of that last week ;) ✂️