High Desert Creek

This past weekend we were able to get our kid one last backpacking trip in before the weather starts to change (my wife and I will still backpack independently, but the 4 year old is a fair weather fan). This is one of our favorite, easy spots that the kiddo can hike in, while still feel remote and more importantly, there's no garbage or toilet paper. It's only about 1.5 miles down in a canyon with 600 vertical feet so its easy on those tiny legs. Naturally, there's a fishable creek that happens to be a trib of a well known river.

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.11.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.11.15 PM.png

This is a creek that while I've fished a handful of times, I've never really got to truly explore much more than the ~500 yards of camp water since I'm always with my family. It's a really small stream, even close to the confluence (rarely larger than 15-20 feet across and often closer to 10 feet. I've personally caught fish up to 14" which in this water is a blast. Someday, I'll get here sans kid (or at least more grown up kid) so I explore more--but in the meantime I love what I can get.

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.11.24 PM.png

On Saturday (during the day), the weather was great, the stream was in good condition and fish were eating. I had my (new to me) Livingston Rod Co 885 and instantly fell in love. It has the power to cast but still made 8" fish fun. Granted, this is a creek that I essentially dont need to cast on, I found some stretches where I could just let it loose down (or upstream) to see would it could do. Paired with a 406 DT it could cast incredibly delicately, accurately, but ALSO cast a decent sized hopper dropper rig. It was also super light in hand. I'm fucking sold. I already found an even better of a deal on the 7wt version for smallies. My kid, naturally had her Echo Gecko :)

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.11.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.11.38 PM.png

Unfortunately as the afternoon wore on, a decent sized storm cell rolled in and we were surrounded by some pretty good thunder and rain. We took refuge in our tent where we drew and painted with water colors (we've gotten trapped in the rain a handful of times with the kid and always come prepared with art supplies for the tent).

The next day was pleasant, we continued to fish where I got the hog of the trip--a 12" rainbow on a hopper. Hiked out, and proceeded to get soft serve at the Sno Cap.

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.12.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 12.12.04 PM.png
B24656E4-6BFF-485E-8AD0-EAC8ABB6B43A.jpg

@Stonedfish To answer your question: while I don't get as many "hours" fishing, god damn I love the summer time. It's the time I'm outside, fishing, camping AND spending time with my family. Sure, I get more alone time to fish harder during the Spring, Fall and Winter, but it's different and doesn't fill my cup up the same way.

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Awesome trip, and great report

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yeah you seem to do a great job of threading the needle. Kudos! Maybe you should throw a second kid in the mix, you know, spice things up a bit. 🌶

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yeah you seem to do a great job of threading the needle. Kudos! Maybe you should throw a second kid in the mix, you know, spice things up a bit. 🌶
And the best family planning advice often comes from strangers on the internet.

Sorry, this is the kind of sh*t we say to all our 1-kid friends…who are killing it. Mostly because we gaze up from the ruins of multi-kid chaos with longing and envy.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

Sorry, this is the kind of sh*t we say to all our 1-kid friends…who are killing it. Mostly because we gaze up from the ruins of multi-kid chaos with longing and envy.

HA!

Yeah, see, we look up from the chaos on the single kid family to the zero kid family with envy. Wouldn't change our decision for the world but come 11/11 there will be no chance for a second ;)

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
HA!

Yeah, see, we look up from the chaos on the single kid family to the zero kid family with envy. Wouldn't change our decision for the world but come 11/11 there will be no chance for a second ;)
My friend, you don‘t know what chaos is.
I still kid, obviously I have no idea about your fam.
Good luck with the procedure.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
My friend, you don‘t know what chaos is.
I still kid, obviously I have no idea about your fam.
Good luck with the procedure.

Oh I know! Our daughter REALLY wants a sibling. But my wife and I are weak, weak humans ;). We kid with her when she asks by saying "you can either have a baby brother/sister or divorced unhappy parents." She obviously doesn't understand the latter but just giggles and runs off. We're very lucky in that we live on a block with 6 other kids all within 9 months of her. It's like a pack of wolves most days.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This past weekend we were able to get our kid one last backpacking trip in before the weather starts to change (my wife and I will still backpack independently, but the 4 year old is a fair weather fan). This is one of our favorite, easy spots that the kiddo can hike in, while still feel remote and more importantly, there's no garbage or toilet paper. It's only about 1.5 miles down in a canyon with 600 vertical feet so its easy on those tiny legs. Naturally, there's a fishable creek that happens to be a trib of a well known river.

View attachment 33042
View attachment 33050View attachment 33043

This is a creek that while I've fished a handful of times, I've never really got to truly explore much more than the ~500 yards of camp water since I'm always with my family. It's a really small stream, even close to the confluence (rarely larger than 15-20 feet across and often closer to 10 feet. I've personally caught fish up to 14" which in this water is a blast. Someday, I'll get here sans kid (or at least more grown up kid) so I explore more--but in the meantime I love what I can get.

On Saturday (during the day), the weather was great, the stream was in good condition and fish were eating. I had my (new to me) Livingston Rod Co 885 and instantly fell in love. It has the power to cast but still made 8" fish fun. Granted, this is a creek that I essentially dont need to cast on, I found some stretches where I could just let it loose down (or upstream) to see would it could do. Paired with a 406 DT it could cast incredibly delicately, accurately, but ALSO cast a decent sized hopper dropper rig. It was also super light in hand. I'm fucking sold. I already found an even better of a deal on the 7wt version for smallies. My kid, naturally had her Echo Gecko :)

View attachment 33045
View attachment 33044

View attachment 33046
View attachment 33047
View attachment 33049

Unfortunately as the afternoon wore on, a decent sized storm cell rolled in and we were surrounded by some pretty good thunder and rain. We took refuge in our tent where we drew and painted with water colors (we've gotten trapped in the rain a handful of times with the kid and always come prepared with art supplies for the tent).

The next day was pleasant, we continued to fish where I got the hog of the trip--a 12" rainbow on a hopper. Hiked out, and proceeded to get soft serve at the Sno Cap.

View attachment 33048
View attachment 33057

@Stonedfish To answer your question: while I don't get as many "hours" fishing, god damn I love the summer time. It's the time I'm outside, fishing, camping AND spending time with my family. Sure, I get more alone time to fish harder during the Spring, Fall and Winter, but it's different and doesn't fill my cup up the same way.
Excellent!

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter

When the 3 kid chaos left our house for college (all one year apart), it took a couple of years to recover from how badly I missed that chaos....best of times

Chadk

Life of the Party
When the 3 kid chaos left our house for college (all one year apart), it took a couple of years to recover from how badly I missed that chaos....best of times
3 kids at home seems like a quiet vacation to us now days. With 8 kids, each time one moves out there seems to be such a big hole missing. With the youngest now about to turn 14, we'll be empty nesters in a blink. But to be honest, I am already thinking of retirement and planning the road trips and fishing / hunting adventures - many of those will includes the kids who have learned to enjoy it with me!

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
3 kids at home seems like a quiet vacation to us now days. With 8 kids, each time one moves out there seems to be such a big hole missing. With the youngest now about to turn 14, we'll be empty nesters in a blink. But to be honest, I am already thinking of retirement and planning the road trips and fishing / hunting adventures - many of those will includes the kids who have learned to enjoy it with me.
My youngest son, now 43, up with his family for an extended summer hang at their closeby vacation house, decided to start fly fishing again and so we did...at Crane Prairie one morning I stuck an absolute pig, likely my biggest there ever...after getting it onto the reel handed the rod to my son....the look on his face when he saw the size of the fish for the first time when it briefly surfaced 10 yards from the boat...the look on his face when the pig suddenly went nutz just as he was reeling and the tippet popped...the next morning "hey, pop, going to be clear from work by 3 pm today, what say we go back to CP?"...lol

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've been meaning to get down in there for a couple years. its neat to see a report of this. water looks pretty good for september, how ws the fishing? decent overall?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've been meaning to get down in there for a couple years. its neat to see a report of this. water looks pretty good for september, how ws the fishing? decent overall?

I love fishing down there. It's always been fun. With that being said, I've ONLY been down there with my kid so I generally never leave camp water and only am able to fish in maybe 45-60 minute intervals. I really want to get down there sans kid and really explore it, because I know there's some good fish in there if you're willing to work for it.

Definitely keep this name to yourself ;)