Help me start tying? Pretty please?

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I am brand new to fly tying. As a young kid (like 8-10) I had a vice and a couple tools and threw some feathers on hooks, but that's it.

About 10 years ago I wanted to start again and bought a tool kit and found the parts inoperably shitty. This left me a little discouraged and skittish to try again, but I was also not nearly as committed to fly fishing then as now.

With the wife and daughter showing interest I'm looking to get into it. I have zero tools or materials and am looking for advice on where to start.

Initially I'd like to tie buggers, small streamers/bait patterns and other common, simple patterns.

I've yet to find a prepackaged kit online with consistent positive reviews. Lots of complaints about quality spanning a pretty wide price range.

Anybody purchased a tool kit that they would suggest to a beginner? Would I be better served piecing together the tools bit by bit?

I don't want to waste money but I am ok to spend a little bit on things that matter or are worth it. Really just need direction on what those those things might be.

Due to space constraints of the current abode, everything is going to have to be able to break down and box up relatively easily. Wont have room to dedicate to a desk for the time being.

Good resources for instruction and materials would also be really appreciated.

Any and all suggestions welcome!!

Reactions: Zak

RCF

Life of the Party
When I started tying I took lessons from a local fly shop. It was a Christmas present from my wife. Best present ever! It was once a week for 8 weeks. First fly? A bugger of course. To have just-in-time help regarding techniques, proportions, good materials, and ability to try different vices is priceless.

When you tie a fly, tie at least a dozen in a row. Look at each one and learn from fly to fly. Then compare your first fly and your last fly. There will be a tremendous difference. BTW even us that tie a lot see the same differences.

With all this pandemic stuff, might be hard for a shop to have in-person classes but worth an inquiry. There are fly fishing clubs in your area I believe. Or maybe a member nearby can help. That one-on-one interaction I discussed earlier is so important IMHO. Yes there is YouTube, but after you learn the basics, it will be more advantageous to use that resource.

It is much easier to learn how to tie correctly than to learn how to un-learn what you have been doing and then learning the correct way. Much the same applies on learning how to cast - just saying...

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Don't get a kit! Buy a decent vise (I use a Peak Rotary and like it, about $150 new), a bobbin (I like Rite standard bobbins), thread (Danville 6/0 flat waxed in black and olive). Then pick 2 or three patterns to tie (I suggest starting with wooly buggers) and buy the hooks and materials needed to tie those patterns. Tie them. You'll have materials left over. Pick a new pattern and buy materials for that. Repeat. You'll end up with a good kit of useful materials, whereas if you buy materials in a kit you'll get crappy stuff and much of it you will never use.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
It's a great time to be learning to tie. YouTube us such an amazing resource.

My advice would be to watch some "intro to fly tying vids" that cover the basics like starting the thread, tying in materials, whip finishing etc then find a video for a single pattern that you could utilize in your fishing (a simple pattern of course). Then go and pick up the materials listed for that video, and tie just that fly. Over and over again.

Eventually you will feel like branching out, and you can add other individual flies and the materials needed. Eventually you'll learn and be comfortable with a wide variety of techniques and flies.

If you go buy a kit, or a bunch of materials you think you'll need, you'll generally end up spending a lot of money on things you just won't use. Ask me how I know.

I've seen you post about fishing the sound, so a standard clouser minnow would be a great place to start. Super simple, will teach you many basics, and will produce a fly that you can confidently fish and expect to produce.

Lessons thru a shop or club are definitely a valid option, but really there is so much good stuff on YT that just about anyone can follow along and learn at their convenience.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I can't agree with Zak more. Kits are not worth getting, unless you think there is a risk that you will lose interest entirely. Decent gear is cheap enough now that there's really no reason to get a kit of random crap.

Another thing I will say is that you don't need to follow every pattern exactly. That is where your budget will blow up. For trout, medium brown or grey works well enough, most of the time. White/black grizzly hackle can also generally be used on any fly.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
All kidding aside, I'm just getting back into it after 15+ years. I have no room also.

Don't buy a kit, piece it together with quality equipment as you go.

Watch u tube, davie mcphail, Tim Flagler, there's a bunch, those are my faves.

Pick a fly you want to focus on that week, buy quality material to make it, then dive it, pick a new fly, add to the collection.

Oh and read the 1 fly thread here, if you want to keep it simple, you can tie a pheasant tail with copper wire, a hook, and tail fibres. Walts worm is 2 or 3 materials, woolly buggers are simple. You can start on a budget if you pick and choose the fly.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
A plastic tool box (the kind with handle on top and a removable tray) will hold your entire kit for while. Until you get to the stacked storage bins full of gallon zip lock bags of materials stage!

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
This site is still a bit new for lots of searchable information on vises, but contained in here are some thoughtful discussions: https://www.pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/giving-up-in-frustration.78/#post-996

Your profile says Whatcom County, reach out to a few of the locals and see if you can meet up. Good luck. You do realize the bottomless pit you are getting into? Tying flies doesn't save you money; it's a myth.
I have no such belief. If anything I am looking for an excuse to support my local fly shop when I'm not out losing gear!

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
It's a great time to be learning to tie. YouTube us such an amazing resource.

My advice would be to watch some "intro to fly tying vids" that cover the basics like starting the thread, tying in materials, whip finishing etc then find a video for a single pattern that you could utilize in your fishing (a simple pattern of course). Then go and pick up the materials listed for that video, and tie just that fly. Over and over again.

Eventually you will feel like branching out, and you can add other individual flies and the materials needed. Eventually you'll learn and be comfortable with a wide variety of techniques and flies.

If you go buy a kit, or a bunch of materials you think you'll need, you'll generally end up spending a lot of money on things you just won't use. Ask me how I know.

I've seen you post about fishing the sound, so a standard clouser minnow would be a great place to start. Super simple, will teach you many basics, and will produce a fly that you can confidently fish and expect to produce.

Lessons thru a shop or club are definitely a valid option, but really there is so much good stuff on YT that just about anyone can follow along and learn at their convenience.
Clousers are definitely on the list, I fish them for so many fish in fresh water as well.

I've watched several of your videos and definitely feel like I could follow along. I'd love to take some regular lessons, but my kid free, non-working time contains zero overlap during normal business hours. So for now I'll be spending more time on your channel.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
YouTube tying videos definitely took me down many different rabbit holes. Not that that's a bad thing....

Zak

Legend
You might consider picking up a copy of Dave Hughes' book Essential Trout Flies. It discusses equipment, materials, and techniques and then gives recipes and pictures for various "essential flies" plus variations for each one. I learned a lot from it.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
If you have limited space, you might be interested in the setup below.

I keep everything on/in this rolling drawer unit that I got at Target for about $10. The drawers are big enough to fit a lot of crap and I can wheel this into the living room, so I can tie flies while I'm watching TV. The stationery holders and trash collector thing are really great.

IMG_0968.jpeg

When I want to settle in and bust out a tonne of flies, I tie at my computer desk. It is a lot more comfortable. To do so, I just grab the white box and move everything in one go.

IMG_0969.jpeg

Here's what I used...
The baby Yoda isn't essential, but I do highly recommend it.

Last edited: