Help me find a box for my LiFePo4 battery...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I've got a LiTime 50ah LiFePo4 battery I want to put into some sort of a battery box.

Amazon product ASIN B08K7MKRF7
A: Is there any reason a LiFePo4 battery can't be in a box? Does it need to be vented?

B: Has anyone seen a box that would fit 6.53"D x 7.79"W x 6.69"H without being vastly oversized like most standard battery boxes? Actually, it might need to be a bit taller because that height measurement doesn't seem to account for the terminal connections.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 9.42.41 AM.png

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've got a LiTime 50ah LiFePo4 battery I want to put into some sort of a battery box.

A: Is there any reason a LiFePo4 battery can't be in a box? Does it need to be vented?

B: Has anyone seen a box that would fit 6.53"D x 7.79"W x 6.69"H without being vastly oversized like most standard battery boxes? Actually, it might need to be a bit taller because that height measurement doesn't seem to account for the terminal connections.

View attachment 68763

I can’t help with your box , but I’d like to see what you think of these Amazon lithium batteries ? I have an 100 amp lithium coming from Amazon to run my Minn Kota 50 on my inflatable pontoon.
My previous battery was a Cabelas size 27 AGM , that I was fortunate enough to sell , not sure what I was thinking , being as heavy as it was . Great battery , but not for portability. Anyway I’m thinking this 100 amp is a bit of overkill, but I fish big lakes like Hebgen , and do want plenty of battery , and at just over 26 lbs , no issues as far as weight , I sure won’t miss that AGM at close to 70lbs. :( This 100 amp is nearly the same size as my 27 AGM , and fits the same box I have .

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I can’t help with your box , but I’d like to see what you think of these Amazon lithium batteries ?
I've had zero trouble with mine and I know many others here have had success as well. That said, I also don't run all day with mine. My fishing trips are more "Use the outboard to get somewhere and then the minn kota to fish for a while then go somewhere with the outboard..." and repeat. But I fele like some of the guys here have used them all day.

My previous battery was a Cabelas size 27 AGM , that I was fortunate enough to sell , not sure what I was thinking , being as heavy as it was
I also have a big ass 27 battery that I don't know wht to do with. Probably just money down the drain at this point.

The LiFePo4 batteries are miles lighter than and have better discharge curves than lead acid batteries. I doubt I'd buy a lead acid one again at this point unless I had a big boat with a permanent install in it maybe.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Joann's craft store has plastic snap lid boxes in every size imaginable, including some with lid gaskets, found one such perfectly sized for twin 30A AGM batteries.
The wiring penetration = vent hole.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I went the DIY route with mine. Snap top plastic box. Drilled a hole in the top portion then cut a small section of rubber sheet and glued it over the hole and also wrapped in duct tape. Cut an X in the rubber. You end up with a fairly water resistant container.
Added an old foam exercise block in to keep the battery from sliding around. Works well and cost about 10 bucks total.

9EA20C07-663C-461D-B7F4-97E8E95BCCF3.jpeg

69E59A61-591E-45DB-BDBF-3BC02150BAD3.jpeg

27C36229-F5FA-4352-A3D5-383A15E0A147.jpeg

849BA1A4-1348-40D5-B2CA-954AB8F94560.jpeg

CEB2CC7F-4AC8-4F90-A0EC-F436B0802744.jpeg

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Looking on Amazon there is one the brand is Atwood U1 Series dimensions are 8*1/4 x
I've had zero trouble with mine and I know many others here have had success as well. That said, I also don't run all day with mine. My fishing trips are more "Use the outboard to get somewhere and then the minn kota to fish for a while then go somewhere with the outboard..." and repeat. But I fele like some of the guys here have used them all day.

I also have a big ass 27 battery that I don't know wht to do with. Probably just money down the drain at this point.

The LiFePo4 batteries are miles lighter than and have better discharge curves than lead acid batteries. I doubt I'd buy a lead acid one again at this point unless I had a big boat with a permanent install in it maybe.
I’m leaving for our annual six week Montana trip tomorrow. Had that AGM in the classifieds here for over 3 weeks , not a call until last Saturday a guy called , and wanted it , had it packed , and ready to go , so got it out , and sold it . Order the Lithium that day ,and it wouldn’t be here before we left , getting it shipped to where we’re at in Montana should be there in a couple days . Could I ask what charger you purchased to charge the Lithium ?

I’ll be using that lithium frequently up there .

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Josh, what do you want the box to do? Just water resistance and easy portability, or impact resistance also?

For my smaller LiFePo4 that I use on the yak for my finder, a simple softsided lunch box works really well. It doesn't take up as much room or slide around as much as hard plastic.
20230127_135426.jpg

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Some creative ideas. I like the soft side cooler.

A plastic battery box for wheel chair batteries might work?

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter

View attachment 68763
I have had my lithium battery in this sturdy soft tool bag I purchased from Home Depot for $15 for several years.It’s perfect. Roomy inside for fly boxes and a small wrench. The carrying handles are great too.image.jpg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Battery boxes comes in different sizes. Small to large: U1, group 24, group 27, group 31...
U1 is too small for yours so the 24 would be next up. I have a LiFePO4 100Ah and it fits in the 24 nicely with some room to spare for cables connections up top.
I got mine from Amazon for about $15.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Looking on Amazon there is one the brand is Atwood U1 Series dimensions are 8*1/4 x

I’m leaving for our annual six week Montana trip tomorrow. Had that AGM in the classifieds here for over 3 weeks , not a call until last Saturday a guy called , and wanted it , had it packed , and ready to go , so got it out , and sold it . Order the Lithium that day ,and it wouldn’t be here before we left , getting it shipped to where we’re at in Montana should be there in a couple days . Could I ask what charger you purchased to charge the Lithium ?

I’ll be using that lithium frequently up there .
You should check the specifications of the battery you have. My 50ah lithium battery said not to use more than a 10 amp charger.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You should check the specifications of the battery you have. My 50ah lithium battery said not to use more than a 10 amp charger.

Checking the specs on mine it's 20 amps for the 100 amp battery , and in that same brand battery in the 50 amp., it also calls for the 10 amp . I bought a 20 amp charger ,although not a Noco, it appears to be the same thing auto sensing ,shut off etc. I used it on a small AGM battery seemed to work well . Has all the battery modes lithium , LiFePO4, AGM etc . Should get the Lithium battery today ,will see how it works on it .

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Interestingly enough, it looks like the company who makes my battery also makes a fancy battery box:

Amazon product ASIN B0BZGR7QCM
However, it appears to just be a regular sz 24/27 box. And it is rather pricey as well.

Looks like a version of this with a different voltage meter:

Amazon product ASIN B01AE2TG7G
I wonder if the LiTime one reports LiFePo4 battery voltage accurately? Because I suspect the Newport one does not.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Interestingly enough, it looks like the company who makes my battery also makes a fancy battery box:

Amazon product ASIN B0BZGR7QCM
However, it appears to just be a regular sz 24/27 box. And it is rather pricey as well.

Looks like a version of this with a different voltage meter:

Amazon product ASIN B01AE2TG7G
I wonder if the LiTime one reports LiFePo4 battery voltage accurately? Because I suspect the Newport one does not.
I have my ff hooked up to my battery, so that’s my voltage meter. And it didn’t cost much more than the box you listed.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Like @Northern, I use an old soft lunch cooler bag for my fish finder battery. It's fairly water resistant and has room for the cables. It all fits neatly into a cheap Home Depot parts tray to which I mounted the finder.

I also use a Noco Group U1 sized battery box for the trolling motor battery. It's listed for an 8" x 5.2" x 7" battery. They make different sizes (aka Groups) for the most common battery dimensions, so you'll need find the one that fits your battery. It has a vented lid (upside down next to box) with channels for a tie-down strap and room for the trolling motor post clamps.

1686928839397.png

Yes, I need to clean my work bench.

kmudgn

Steelhead
Not to hijack this thread, but Li battery for my canoe trolling motor? I have been buying a "cheap" deep cycle batteries at Walmart for years. The last one I bought was about $ 60 and as I take care of it (float charge) they have all lasted 5-6 seasons. Li batteries are crazy expensive and other than being lighter in weight I can't see the advantage. I am over 70 and can still hump the batter from the trunk to the canoe (have to install the trolling motor anyway) so for now (until I hurt my back, etc.) I will stick with lead acid.