Hawaiian kayak fishing (shark content)

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I used to fish from a kayak in Hawaii a lot, mostly trolling and occasionally bottom fishing. I remember trolling a plug from my kayak around a bait ball off Makua beach trying to catch the school ahi crashing the bait, until I saw a sizable tiger shark join the fray…I paddled toward the beach.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Not a chance in hell, I'm surprised more kayakers haven't died out there, by either sharks or being speard by a Marlin!

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
Just returned from Oahu a couple of days ago, fished a.m.'s and swam in the afternoons. Watching the surfers made me long for those days again. But dang, that dude had a close call. Makes me ponder the wisdom of my pension for swimming well out beyond the breakers and then doing the backstroke while taking in the warmth of the water and serenity of the sky. :unsure:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just returned from Oahu a couple of days ago, fished a.m.'s and swam in the afternoons. Watching the surfers made me long for those days again. But dang, that dude had a close call. Makes me ponder the wisdom of my pension for swimming well out beyond the breakers and then doing the backstroke while taking in the warmth of the water and serenity of the sky. :unsure:
You have a greater chance of getting hit by a car than being bit by a shark…

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
Yet you paddled for shore when the tiger was simply crashing bait. Might you have been pondering the potential vs. your chances? ;)