Hats as a random conversation starter?

Paul_

Life of the Party
What’s everyone’s thoughts on striking up a conversation with a stranger because you see they are wearing a fly fishing related hat? I’ll add, a pretty specific type of hat. Echo, Spawn Flyfish, Rio, Sage, PNW Flyfishing, a fly shop…

If I’m in line somewhere and the person next to me has such a hat on I usually start a conversation (if they don’t look overly grumpy). Sometimes it’s awkward and it appears they are annoyed by my pestering them about their hat (usually Spey Bros ;) ). But most of the time it turns out positive.

What do you guys do in similar situations?
FD7D9C77-510F-4B3A-B7E3-185BEDE27967.jpeg

Last edited:

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I tend to wear Tilley. I really like them. No fishing related stitching but I do get a lot on positive comments.

Reactions: Zak

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I never leave the house without a hat. 99% of the time it's either my old Simms hat, or that same Spawn hat in the pic in the OP.

I can't remember a single time where someone randomly struck up a conversation with me in public because if my hat. Maybe that means I look grumpy.

I have been known to make comments to random folks I see wearing cool band shirts.

Zak

Legend
I tend to wear Tilley. I really like them. No fishing related stitching but I do get a lot on positive comments.
Me, too. Tilley replaced my worn out T3 for free, and they make size 8 hats to fit my freakishly large noggin. Best fishing hat ever (except when wearing a hooded jacket with the hood up for rain).

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Once, years ago, I was following a trail down to a river, and passed a very Simms-to-the-teeth dressed fly guy. It was dusk, and in the dim light he squinted at my bright orange, fish-imaged cap and started to ask something before getting close enough to recognize it not as a prestigious fly brand, but as Nemo at Mount Wannahockaloogie. The look of horror and immediate snapping shut of his mouth had me chuckling to myself for quite some time!

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
I have the most obscure hat collection known to man. I have a buddy who collects patches from anywhere that has them available for sale. He then puts them on hats and every year he brings me a new one when he comes to deer camp. The only commonality in my hats is that they are all from somewhere in MT, WY or CO.

Currently, my “go to” is a hat from King Ropes in Sheridan WY. I had a guy stop me in a store last week and ask me about it. That doesn’t happen to me a lot. He was big O’l burly dude and we had a great conversation. I’m not a grumpy person, at least I don’t think so, however my wife and kids tell me I’m not very approachable. I should probably smile more. I learned something about my hat that day😀.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I struck up a short conversation with this guy while at SeaTac security check since he was wearing a Moonshine flyrods hat. The other time my kids swim instructor asked me if I fish with a winston seeing mine.
Both positive experiences. I will strike up small talk if they look friendly enough :)
Anyone has lucky hats? I lost both of mine in lake Chelan and lake Washington. I still catch plenty of fish though, go figure haha

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Anyone has lucky hats? I lost both of mine in lake Chelan and lake Washington. I still catch plenty of fish though, go figure haha
A couple! My favorites are seriously well-worn. The aforementioned Nemo hat (no longer orange, exactly)
20221231_144942.jpg
And this one - acquired decades ago. A friend of my BIL's that we fished with up in Ontario was a Pepperidge Farm sales rep. Gene introduced us, and I said something along the lines of "Nice to meet you! I'm gonna need that hat."
It's caught fish with me all over the place - I still wear it! :cool:
20190509_004038.jpg

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
A couple! My favorites are seriously well-worn. The aforementioned Nemo hat (no longer orange, exactly)

And this one - acquired decades ago. A friend of my BIL's that we fished with up in Ontario was a Pepperidge Farm sales rep. Gene introduced us, and I said something along the lines of "Nice to meet you! I'm gonna need that hat."
It's caught fish with me all over the place - I still wear it! :cool:

What, no Elmder Fudd hat??? That's my favorite!

Divad

Whitefish
I wouldn’t consider myself introverted but a river I frequent in the summer/fall has me wanting this as a conversation “starter”.

8D7F29F1-C68B-4DBB-8B8E-94BD6EE08899.jpeg

Else it’s a Seattle Kraken Hat 🐙

Also really cool goldfish cap @Northern never seen that.