Harriet Lake road access

Due to many years of fishing this wonderful lake, I have grown a deep passion for it. I remember the years as a little kid of driving from Ripplebrook. But because of the devastating wildfires, the road from Ripplebrook was locked away and the only way was from Timothy. This alternate route caused a delay in the Harriet Lake fishing season. The lake was usually open in late March, but now in late May. This was very sad, because it's one of the only mountain lake on Mt. Hood open in March. Last year I was told from the Zig Zag ranger station that it would be open, but it never happened. This year I received news that forest service has hired a private contractor, to clear forest road 57 (access road from Ripplebrook). Then I looked at the stocking schedule for the lake and instead of being stocked in May, like in past years. It says it's being stocked on April 8th. Does this mean that they are finally opening the lake from Ripplebrook? Would they stock it, but let people in at a later date? Any information helps. Thank you.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last I heard NF57 was reopening in 2025, so I wouldn’t hold your breath. Also, those stocking schedules are bit aspirational. For what it’s worth, Google says there’s is still a way to get to Harriet via 224 on other forest roads, but I have never tried it.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Google says theirs is still a way to get to Harriet via 224 on other forest roads, but I have never tried it.
I’ve heard this. You go past 57 and I think you shoot up skyline and back over. But I think more so the issue will then be snow still

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I’ve heard this. You go past 57 and I think you shoot up skyline and back over. But I think more so the issue will then be snow still
Yeah, that's how I've done it in the past but I haven't fished in in nearly 10 years.

Smokey Bear

El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity
Forum Supporter
First road on the left after the old Ripplebrook ranger station got you there until the last fire. They now have it gated.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I've gone left at the store (I think) and up the north side of the lake past the powerhouse road. Is that no longer open?

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've gone left at the store (I think) and up the north side of the lake past the powerhouse road. Is that no longer open?
The fires closed 57, and access for the past few years has been down skyline around Timothy from 26.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
The fires closed 57, and access for the past few years has been down skyline around Timothy from 26.
I haven't been up there in a while. I think one time I went 224, Ripplebrook Road, 4630. Avoided 57.

Might be fun to try Harriet again. I've kinda soured on Timothy the last few years, and Harriet is only a little further.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I haven't been up there in a while. I think one time I went 224, Ripplebrook Road, 4630. Avoided 57.

Might be fun to try Harriet again. I've kinda soured on Timothy the last few years, and Harriet is only a little further.
In 2022, it had been 2 years since anyone had been there. Man was that a good year.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I find Harriet really enjoyable. More so than Timothy, for me.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Oh, and I think 4630 is also closed now.

Smokey Bear

Forum Supporter
It’s not open. That road is 4631. They are clearing the trees that may fall on the road.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Going to bring this one back to the top.
Don’t listen to us Muppets, just call the ranger ;)

Generally good advice

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I find Harriet really enjoyable. More so than Timothy, for me.
I used to be able to spend the day getting some nice fish under a bobber and on top, waiting for the hex hatch. The last 3-4 years have just been dead. I figure a combination of warm water and extensive draw downs broke it. I’d be happy to get out to Harriet some time.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I used to be able to spend the day getting some nice fish under a bobber and on top, waiting for the hex hatch. The last 3-4 years have just been dead. I figure a combination of warm water and extensive draw downs broke it. I’d be happy to get out to Harriet some time.
Let’s do a camp one night this spring? @ColinShots maybe we can convince Randy to lower his standards?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I caught one of the largest and nastiest brooders I've ever seen there. You could hear an audible gasp from the bankies when I released it!

Let’s do a camp one night this spring? @ColinShots maybe we can convince Randy to lower his standards?
maybe bring some drakes of the green variety.... :unsure:

Smokey Bear

Forum Supporter
The last time I took my wife there, we left her rod out while we were packing stuff up from the steep bank. We get to the truck and she looks down and her rod is bouncing. She slid down and reeled in one of the 3+ pounders they planted. I’ll try and find a picture. Not table fare, but sure was fun watching her bring it in on a very light rod and line.