Handgun Snake Shot

DKL

Steelhead
Curious if any of you in rattler country use snake shot/rounds in any of your pistols? I was introduced to the ability to do this last fall. I’m wondering if for those that do carry snake rounds or have carried them feel it actually does the job. My quick internet search revealed conflicting thoughts, which kind of surprised me. I would think either it will take a snake out at a distance one would find (figure less than 10’) themselves in or it wouldn’t. I would also suspect the caliber has a lot to do with it to. I only have 2 calibers for my handguns; .357 and .454 (.45). I don’t carry the big one except in very rare circumstances, so I would be looking at rounds for either of the .357 revolvers.

Thanks for any of your thoughts, they are appreciated.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Carried .38 snake shot at a friend's riverfront property in rattler country, never had to use it, a few practice rounds at cardboard to determine pattern size showed 10' about max for sufficient cluster...btw, snake shot shouldn't be used in ported revolvers.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Curious if any of you in rattler country use snake shot/rounds in any of your pistols? I was introduced to the ability to do this last fall. I’m wondering if for those that do carry snake rounds or have carried them feel it actually does the job. My quick internet search revealed conflicting thoughts, which kind of surprised me. I would think either it will take a snake out at a distance one would find (figure less than 10’) themselves in or it wouldn’t. I would also suspect the caliber has a lot to do with it to. I only have 2 calibers for my handguns; .357 and .454 (.45). I don’t carry the big one except in very rare circumstances, so I would be looking at rounds for either of the .357 revolvers.

Thanks for any of your thoughts, they are appreciated.
Na, if I have time to shoot them I have time to get out of their way. Not into Snake skins or eating them. I am the guy who stops and shoos them out of the road

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Na, if I have time to shoot them I have time to get out of their way. Not into Snake skins or eating them. I am the guy who stops and shoos them out of the road
My experience is pretty minimal due to spending most of my time on the wet side of the hills. But generally I think Rob is correct.

If you've got time to draw/aim/shoot while hoofing along in waders, holding a rod, etc... you probably have plenty of time to just get out of their way. I can't think of a situation when I've encountered one that a gun with snakeshot would have helped me. I either saw them from enough distance for it to not be a worry at all, or came so close to stepping on them that I wouldn't have gotten a shot off anyway.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Give the snake the shady side of the rock/bush on hot days and the sunny side on cold days and you'll likely never see one.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
My experience is pretty minimal due to spending most of my time on the wet side of the hills. But generally I think Rob is correct.

If you've got time to draw/aim/shoot while hoofing along in waders, holding a rod, etc... you probably have plenty of time to just get out of their way. I can't think of a situation when I've encountered one that a gun with snakeshot would have helped me. I either saw them from enough distance for it to not be a worry at all, or came so close to stepping on them that I wouldn't have gotten a shot off anyway.
One more thing to carry as you stumble trying to not get flyline caught on bushes.
Hmmmmm snake-proof waders?

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They don’t bother me when I see them first. But as sometimes happen they just show up out of nowhere and I get all Elvis and shook up …. Might scream too. 😔 They can freak me out. Now spiders don’t ever. Go figure.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have eaten rattlesnake, actually doesn't taste terrible....with lots of seasoning...and chewing (I think I'd sous vide it next time if I were so inclined to go that route). Never really understood a reason to kill them otherwise. Between them and gopher snakes, they're just about the most efficient rodent control (outside of maybe weasels) that exists.

I'm looking for the best kind of scorpion shot and what gauge folks like the best....and would that be good for the ticks too?

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have eaten rattlesnake, actually doesn't taste terrible....with lots of seasoning...and chewing (I think I'd sous vide it next time if I were so inclined to go that route). Never really understood a reason to kill them otherwise. Between them and gopher snakes, they're just about the most efficient rodent control (outside of maybe weasels) that exists.

I'm looking for the best kind of scorpion shot and what gauge folks like the best....and would that be good for the ticks too?
I have not tried but have heard many say it is similar to chicken.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
One of the presidents who rotated into the medical school I worked at for two decades, a Texan, kept a single picture on his desk...his late mother, likely in her late 70's when the picture was taken, in front of their ranch house wearing an apron, holding up an immense rattler in one hand and the shovel she killed it with in the other. Likely she would have sneered at snake shot..

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

My curiosity drives me to want to eat one. I've eaten gator and was pleasantly surprised. It's got a wonderful flavor and lobster hints.

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
I stopped killing snakes when I was ten. I always knew better. At ten I became better.
Well put. I am the same way, I carried a pistol with shot when I was hiking and backpacking in Hells Canyon area when I was in junior high and early in high school. Since then I have worked most of my life outdoors in rattlesnake country, have seen a lot, but now just admire them and have never really felt threatened.