Guilted Myself Right Out Of It

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
This spate of really nice weather is messing with the mind a little bit. I had planned on fishing right through it. The grass needed cut so I did that yesterday so I could fish this week's opener. I noticed I need to do some serious weed control because I was lax last fall and skipped it. (coho fishing) And the back section has a lot of winter blow down that needs to be harvested for the stove and gathered up so the area can be mowed.

My new Starlink for the R-Pod showed up Thursday so I would like to get a permanent install done on the trailer - so there's that waiting too.

The river is starting to get crowded on weekends...

I'll start fishing Monday. :)

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The mental calculus used to solve the proverbial question "should I go fishing today" is complicated. It also seems to be very contextual. On a sunny day I can blow off my chores: "why waste a sunny day doing yard work". On an inclement day I find myself saying: "who wants to spread mulch in the rain, might as well go fishing". A cynic would say that I'm pre-disposed towards fishing, let the haters hate. My motto is "don't put off anything until tomorrow that can be put off today"...

All that said, the prospect of fishing a crowded weekend opener might actually be enough to get me to break my motto and do some chores. Best of luck when you get out there.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
The mental calculus used to solve the proverbial question "should I go fishing today" is complicated. It also seems to be very contextual. On a sunny day I can blow off my chores: "why waste a sunny day doing yard work". On an inclement day I find myself saying: "who wants to spread mulch in the rain, might as well go fishing". A cynic would say that I'm pre-disposed towards fishing, let the haters hate. My motto is "don't put off anything until tomorrow that can be put off today"...

All that said, the prospect of fishing a crowded weekend opener might actually be enough to get me to break my motto and do some chores. Best of luck when you get out there.

I use a concept of advance pennance. If I know I'm going to fish both days on a nice weekend, I will complete three chores on the friday before. Perhaps I will have:

1. Snaked and cleaned out the dryer vent pipe.
2. Fixed a sticking power window in my daughters car.
3. Troubleshot and repaired the dome light switch and bulb sockets in my daughters car.

I feel that those three things should attone for my weekend fishing transgressions. It washes away all guilt.

Of course, the look I get from my wife when I get back may indicate otherwise.

It's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

RCF

Life of the Party
My wife tells me to go fishing. Maybe even for a week....

I think it makes her feel better knowing I will not be around to see her when she is doing chores and messing it up. Also makes it easier for her to go to the nursery, buy and plant some plants without me knowing...

Such is life...

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nobody ever regretted not mowing the lawn more on their death bed. I hate lawns. It's the last feudal fetish of English aristocracy. I might dedicate part of my lawn to a trials bike course this year.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Nobody ever regretted not mowing the lawn more on their death bed. I hate lawns. It's the last feudal fetish of English aristocracy. I might dedicate part of my lawn to a trials bike course this year.

Then where's the dog gonna poop?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I think this is the constant battle for those of us who aren't rich enough to pay others to do our chores out but are also too smart/stubborn/proud to let them sit undone.

Sunny days make both fishing AND chores more enjoyable. So some days you end up doing one in favor of the other. With any luck it evens out, but some months make me question that.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
...or you could be really sick, missing out on the nicest weekend of the year so far, and falling behind on both chores and fishing time.
🤒😷🤒

RCF

Life of the Party
My goal when I retired was to hire people to do the big/heavy lifting chores/projects. I knew my body was not as capable/strong as it used to be. Sorta worked out that way for a couple of years. But inflation has put a big kink into that goal. Hiring people has gotten a lot more expensive for sure. Add on top of that insurance/property tax increases, food costs, kids moving back in after graduation from college, well you get the idea.

So now with more time on my hands I do most of those projects now. Takes more time, I make it fit into my priorities, and I try to work smarter and not harder. Some projects I will not do, e.g. anything involving ladders at heights, so I just have to save up some money to get them done.

My wife is understanding, god bless her heart, and wants me to enjoy retirement.

I feel your pain. Before my current location, I lived in a second floor apartment for fifteen years and my idea of yard work was sweeping pine needles off the balcony. Then acquired what amounted to the largest yard in a tightly packed neighborhood and every time I did yard work, I would make that sound Lurch made when something displeased him. At one point, told my neighbor if he ever saw me enjoying it to just shoot me.
That said, spent yesterday breaking in my new electric lawnmower and felt pretty stoked about it.

Would someone please come and shoot me?😉😃