Guided trip question

BayouJ

Smolt
I did some searching and didn't see an answer, so...

My family surprised me with a guided trip on the Yak at the end of the month - I've never done a float trip like this and am curious if anyone has any advice on what to bring. My current list are my waders & boots, rain jacket and all my normal stuff (hat, sunscreen, etc..), I will use their gear and will be sure to bring money to tip. Anything else as a good idea?
Thanks!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

My family surprised me with a guided trip on the Yak at the end of the month - I've never done a float trip like this and am curious if anyone has any advice on what to bring. My current list are my waders & boots, rain jacket and all my normal stuff (hat, sunscreen, etc..), I will use their gear and will be sure to bring money to tip. Anything else as a good idea?
Thanks!
Perhaps ask the outfit doing the guiding?

fatbillybob

Steelhead

Thanks!

If you have diet restrictions bring your own lunch. The guide isn't going to search for a sandwich made with boar's head cheader cheese because you are lactose intolerant. Research a bit on where you are fishing and discuss with guide beforehand how he plans to fish vs. how you might like to fish. That will determine his plan of attack and what gear he will bring for you and how he will set it up. Give him a little history on your flyfishing experience and ability will help him tailor a successful fun day for you.

JB20

Just Hatched

Thanks!
Bring tip money ;).

Divad

Whitefish
Sunglasses, gloves possibly (ie: latex), and a couple layers that can be removed or added depending on weather. Nothing sucks more than being cold on a trip. Then of course plenty of water and beer. Pro tip: a ziplock baggie with a little tp incase you have to go dig a hole.

Keep to a small bag of personal stuff.

Shad

Life of the Party
Dress in layers, so you're covered for a cool morning and a hot afternoon. Pack light. Sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, waders, and boots with felt (no studs in the boat, if you please). A water bottle and a snack should be all you need for sustenance.

Bring a couple of your own flies if you really want to fish them, but whatever the guide has you fishing will probably work better. Don't forget to take a few minutes to examine those patterns (and how they are rigged!), and talk to the guide about why they chose those patterns under the current conditions, as that knowledge can be the most value you get from a guided trip. Ask a lot of questions. Particularly pay attention to what catches fish when no obvious hatch or other other feeding pattern is visible. The Yakima is possibly the closest thing in Washington to a Rocky Mountain fishery, so those patterns and techniques will likely be effective in many other trout destinations as well.

Have fun and fish hard. If you're even sort of into fly fishing, there's no better way to do it than with a boat to get you to all the good water and a guide who knows where that water is and how to fish it. All you have to do is get the fly in the water, present it like the guide says, and catch fish. Sweet deal...especially when someone else is paying! Enjoy!

BayouJ

Smolt
Dress in layers, so you're covered for a cool morning and a hot afternoon. Pack light. Sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, waders, and boots with felt (no studs in the boat, if you please). A water bottle and a snack should be all you need for sustenance.

Bring a couple of your own flies if you really want to fish them, but whatever the guide has you fishing will probably work better. Don't forget to take a few minutes to examine those patterns (and how they are rigged!), and talk to the guide about why they chose those patterns under the current conditions, as that knowledge can be the most value you get from a guided trip. Ask a lot of questions. Particularly pay attention to what catches fish when no obvious hatch or other other feeding pattern is visible. The Yakima is possibly the closest thing in Washington to a Rocky Mountain fishery, so those patterns and techniques will likely be effective in many other trout destinations as well.

Have fun and fish hard. If you're even sort of into fly fishing, there's no better way to do it than with a boat to get you to all the good water and a guide who knows where that water is and how to fish it. All you have to do is get the fly in the water, present it like the guide says, and catch fish. Sweet deal...especially when someone else is paying! Enjoy!
Thank you!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
The guide wants to put you into as many fish as possible, so do not be offended or surprised when he/she powers through water that they know has a very low probability of hookups. Clients that insist on fishing every bit of water are simply ruining their day...and the guide's.

And even the most competent guides have days on the water when they just ain't biting much.

Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
Actually one of the best bit of advice in this thread; it's not at all that unusual for client(s) to show up with no license, effectively ending the float before it starts and (quite justifiably) no refund. And you'd best pony-up the tip as well.

Last edited:

BayouJ

Smolt
Actually one of the best bit of advice in this thread; it's not at all that unusual for client(s) to show up with no license, effectively ending the float before it starts and (quite justifiably) no refund.
I learned that lesson many years ago on an inshore redfish trip. Expensive lessons usually are memorable :)

fatbillybob

Steelhead
Actually one of the best bit of advice in this thread; it's not at all that unusual for client(s) to show up with no license, effectively ending the float before it starts and (quite justifiably) no refund. And you'd best pony-up the tip as well.

Today I have not been in a state that did not have online license purchase. An example is I was racing at VIR last week. I had down time between races. I went online bought a 1 day license in 5mins and screen captured my license. I took my rod out and scored about 8 white bass in a couple hours then went back to the track and raced.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Lots of good advice here but ultimately this is a question that should be put to the guide.

Every guide is going to have their own program and way of doing things. Maybe they have limited storage and have a preference for what you bring. Maybe they provide lunch, maybe not. Maybe they allow cleats onboard, maybe not. Glass bottles or alcohol ok? Best to get this info from the horses mouth.

As a guide I can tell you first hand that a client that engages in direct communication, asks these questions ahead of time, and is honest about their expectations and skill level are my absolute favorite. If you want to catch lots of fish regardless of technique, let that be known. If you want to fish nothing but dry flies, let that be known. If you're inexperienced or not a great caster, just be honest. I strongly believe that expectations from both sides being put right out on the table is the best approach.

Most of all, have fun!

krusty

Forum Supporter
Today I have not been in a state that did not have online license purchase. An example is I was racing at VIR last week. I had down time between races. I went online bought a 1 day license in 5mins and screen captured my license. I took my rod out and scored about 8 white bass in a couple hours then went back to the track and raced.
Try that in a river bottom with no cell coverage at the launch point. Or maybe even with good cell coverage in WA with their app....or AK with a great app, but very little of the state with cell coverage.

I think the point is to have the appropriate license in hand BEFORE you show up for a guided trip. 😄

Last edited:

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Try that in a river bottom with no cell coverage at the launch point. Or maybe even with good cell coverage in WA with their app....or AK with a great app, but very little of the state with cell coverage.

I think the point is to have the appropriate license in hand BEFORE you show up for a guided trip. 😄
Washington isn't gonna let you off with a screenshot, it has to be in posession. I got let off easy by a Warden when I couldn't find my print license one time