Guided bone fishing trip to Oahu?

Chris54

Just Hatched
Hey all
My family and my fly fishing partners family are going to Oahu in March for a family vacation. We want to do a half day or full day guided bone fishing trip. Oahu is all new to me and so is salt water fishing. Does anybody have a guide service they would recommend? Is a half day worth it or full day the only way to go? Staying in ko olina and was planning to fish around the beach in the morning. Any info you guys pass my way would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I went with Ed from Nervous Waters. He worked to put me on plenty of fish. It was me who blew every shot. We did a half day, which was plenty of time.

BryanG

Just Hatched
I am interested in this too. I booked a trip through bonefishhawaii.com

Won’t lie. I booked a trip from Maui from Jon Jon on Localfishingknowledge.com and he completely ripped me off. Didn’t show.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter

Give Jesse a shout… be warned… Hawaiian bones play by a different rule book, be ready to learn a lot and spook a shit ton of fish. If you can accept this… it is totally for you, enjoy!

skyrise

Steelhead
Check Hawaiiflyfishing.com.
good videos and the ex Marine seems to know his stuff.

mems

Steelhead
You will have fun, great guy. Hope you get to hit Hickam. If you do lead the fish by 20 feet you have to be on the bottom to get them to eat. If it gets too tough he might be able to take you to the “happy place”. Make sure you use his fly.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
You will have fun, great guy. Hope you get to hit Hickam. If you do lead the fish by 20 feet you have to be on the bottom to get them to eat. If it gets too tough he might be able to take you to the “happy place”. Make sure you use his fly.
Copy…

skyrise

Steelhead
Men’s, would that be that brown fly he uses.

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
Anyone have any knowledge about guides on Kauai?

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I wonder if that hawaiiflyfishing link was Terry Duffield aka Coach Duff. I went to high school with him and followed him in the Marine Corps but we never served together. I had heard he was a guide in Hawaii but not sure if he's still doing it.

doughboy

Just Hatched
I first fished with Ed from Nervous Waters probably 10 to 12 years ago. Fished with him again this past March. He put me on my first bone way back when (3 that day) and then again my son's first bonefish this past march. He has the same yellow boat now as he did then. He was good at adjustment too. This last trip I booked two days and when weather was bad for one of them, we just flipped around the schedule that worked for both of us.

Deansie

Steelhead
Bump…heading there in late Sept. and have never been. sounds like Nervous Waters or Makani are the way to go. We’ll be staying at Turtle Bay and won’t have transportation, would they pick me up or is Uber going to be my friend?

Also, any recommendations on DIY that are manageable from Turtle Bay?

Looking forward to the trip!!