Guide slipped out

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Hi all

So a guide foot has slipped out of its thread wraps, clouser struck. As far as I can tell the thread wraps are still good, just a little chip of the epoxy at the edge there.

How should I repair this? Thinking of bending out the foot and slide it back in position but what adhesive should I use? 2 parts epoxy or superglue?

My other 7wt is in repair so would prefer to fix this myself until it breaks again to send it to Scott (or until salmon season is over)

PXL_20230826_223801669.jpgPXL_20230826_211838994.jpgPXL_20230826_223759942.jpgPXL_20230826_223809305.jpg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
My concern would be if there is more damage to the rod than is visible. If you do a self repair what would that do the warranty (if it is still in effect)?
I've inspected it closely and the rod is fine.
Their warranty info does not mention self repair, but good point thank you! I'll need to weigh that factor in.

RCF

Life of the Party
Their warranty info does not mention self repair, but good point thank you! I'll need to weigh that factor in.
Maybe call Scott and ask? They are a great company and I am sure they will point you in the right direction (maybe even how to do a self repair).

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Lou,
I had the same thing happen. I put some super glue on the guide foot and slide it back into the hole under the thread.
A small dab of epoxy likely would have been better, but it held up with the super glue for years.
You could also get it re-wrapped, which wouldn’t take someone who builds rods long to do at all.
I had a guide replaced I couldn’t fix myself by this fella based on a referral from @Phil K and he did excellent work. Bill Z. @ https://snokistrods.com/
SF

Divad

Whitefish
Short term: jimmy it in with some two part epoxy, superglue, uv etc.

Long term: warranty? Or if you’re on your own with the repair, cut off old epoxy coated thread carefully. Wrap with new thread and re-epoxy. Pretty generic thread wrap colors, easy to match. Share me all your cutthroat hotspots and I’d think about doing it for ya 😁 it’s basically a coffee shop job aside from the time it takes to cure the epoxy on a turner

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I’d use needle nose pliers and carefully pull the foot back then push forward. Super glue, or clear nail polish would be a quick easy fishable fix....

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Hi all

So a guide foot has slipped out of its thread wraps, clouser struck. As far as I can tell the thread wraps are still good, just a little chip of the epoxy at the edge there.

How should I repair this? Thinking of bending out the foot and slide it back in position but what adhesive should I use? 2 parts epoxy or superglue?

My other 7wt is in repair so would prefer to fix this myself until it breaks again to send it to Scott (or until salmon season is over)

View attachment 79507View attachment 79508View attachment 79509View attachment 79510
Send these photos to the Scott Repair department. They will instruct you on how they would fix it (materials etc).