Green River (Utah)

Eagerly anticipating a trip to the Green at Flaming Gorge in Utah late April. Seeing several guide operations and wondering if any of you can make a recommendation. Bonus points for recommendations on a good DIY smaller stream in the area. We are thinking the Strawberry or Duchesne, but anything closer to Dutch John?

cody-

Steelhead
I'm going to try to get back to you tomorrow or Sunday. I'm having dinner with a friend who fished that area much more often than I do tomorrow afternoon. I'll see if he's willing to pass on any advice.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Gordon Tharrett of “On The Fly Utah” is excellent and one of the longest term guides on the river. However, he is already booking trips and 2023 so you probably won’t get a trip with him unless he has a cancellation.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Fished there a few years back. Lots of little brown trout but rather small and skinny. It was a scenic float with the guide but he was into a numbers game with indicators and San Juan worms. There’s a six mile trail from the dam down that we hiked the next two days. Some locals were catching a few large Browns from the shore with plugs. I did catch a few 14-15” Browns right below the dam with #24-26 chironomids.

There are better places to go in Wyoming. This used to be a quality fishery before the shrimp disappeared.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Eagerly anticipating a trip to the Green at Flaming Gorge in Utah late April. Seeing several guide operations and wondering if any of you can make a recommendation. Bonus points for recommendations on a good DIY smaller stream in the area. We are thinking the Strawberry or Duchesne, but anything closer to Dutch John?
I must have fished the Green River at least 40 times when I lived in SLC for 4 years. I highly recommend Western Rivers Flyfisher.
They have been guiding the Green longer than most guide services. Definitely one of the best shops in SLC. Check them out in Facebook. At least check out the shop if you are in SLC.

cody-

Steelhead
I must have fished the Green River at least 40 times when I lived in SLC for 4 years. I highly recommend Western Rivers Flyfisher.
They have been guiding the Green longer than most guide services. Definitely one of the best shops in SLC. Check them out in Facebook. At least check out the shop if you are in SLC.
Western Rivers is where I do most of my shopping. Knowledge and helpful. Sometimes there's a little dog running around the shop. I've never hired a guide from them though.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Western Rivers is where I do most of my shopping. Knowledge and helpful. Sometimes there's a little dog running around the shop. I've never hired a guide from them though.
Because I bought a bunch of gear from this fly shop often years ago, the owner invited me to have two free guided floats. Once when I ran into the owner (Steve Schmit) while fishing solo on the Green River and another time when he had an extra spot when his friends came into town from the east coast.

matchu865

Smolt
Fished with Old Moe & Spinner Fall two years ago with Hank Boem and another guide whose name I forgot. Both were great, and we caught a ton of big fish on hoppers (July).

I liked the B-section float a lot better than the A-section, even thought the A-section is arguably prettier, there is a lot more traffic and the fish don't seem to be as big.

In addition to the guided float trips - I did some walk-n-wade solo with very good success. Sight fishing big browns is never dull.

kmudgn

Steelhead
I fished with Spinner Fall about 5 years ago. Fished all 3 sections. Great guides and had an excellent time. I caught the Cicada hatch and never used anything but a dry over the 3 days. Never got a fish less than 14" and got a few 20+ in the "C" section. My impression: "A" section has most fish (and fishing pressure), "B" was most scenic, and "C" had biggest fish.

There is also the BEST outhouse I have ever encountered on a fishing trip. There is an area on the far side of the river where there is a small corral for horse trips. The area is managed by BLM and the outhouse was first rate! Very clean, with a fan and light powered by a solar panel.

The only disappointment was the Hotel: Flaming Gorge. The accommodations were mediocre and expensive and the food was also mediocre and expensive.If If I were to go back I would look at an Air BNB, or similar and cook my own food.