Green River Utah

So I'm thinking of fishing the Green the 3rd week of this month. I'll be floating it in my Watermaster Kodiak. I have never fished it before and am aware that one must wear a flotation device while doing so but not sure which to purchase. It has to be a Type1 and preferably comfortable to fish with while wearing it. So rather than wait til I get there to purchase I thought I'd ask if anyone is aware of what most wear?

Edited for a blanket invite. If anyone from this forum will be there from Sept15th to October 15th and would like a meet and fish I would be open to adjusting my schedule. Life is short and one never has enough acquaintances. Just a thought.

Last edited:

claude

Smolt
I think you're mistaken regarding needing a Type 1 PFD. A Type 3 PFD meets the requirement. It's required that a pfd be worn when
on the water on the A section and part of the B section (to below Red creek?) My experience is that for fishing the most comfortable pfd's are the basic ones.

I think you're mistaken regarding needing a Type 1 PFD. A Type 3 PFD meets the requirement. It's required that a pfd be worn when
on the water on the A section and part of the B section (to below Red creek?) My experience is that for fishing the most comfortable pfd's are the basic ones.

You could be right. I did look at the Utah website and got confused even more than usual. I'd like to get one like the guides use but don't know what they're called.

The ones I've seen on YouTube kind of look like the one in this link.

Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I fished it in May. @claude is correct, you need to wear it in the A section, and then the B section until you get below Red Creek Rapid. There are some YouTube videos of guides running that rapid you may want to check out. Looks like it's flowing about 2K cfs right now during the day. That is about the flow when we ran the rapid. It's fast, shallow in places, lots of rocks. Guides got out and scouted it before running, which I would recommend you do (in addition to watching the videos).

A section doesn't have anything crazy, just a couple quick drops. C section has zero Rapids (hence no life jacket required).

We wore the regular 3 buckle (cheaper) jackets that the guides provided, which were fine. If you are looking for slimmer, more comfortable jackets NRS has some good ones.

Fishing was good for mostly Browns in the 16-20" range, and some Rainbows mixed in here and there. The lower on the river you go, the more dominant the Browns become.

Have a great trip! Feel free to DM for more info.

Is there anywhere up there to buy one of these? I would like to try one on before I buy with the clothes that I will be wearing or are they fairly adjustable? I have lost 17 lbs since my hip surgery 4 weeks ago and have no idea what size anything I wear now. Thanks for your help.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are you staying in Dutch John? If so, there is extremely limited resources there. You will be shopping in gas stations that double as restaurants and fly shops. I seem to remember the one we went into having some life jackets, not sure if they will have the specific model of the NRS, or if any of them were NRS. There are 2 gas stations, each with a fly shop inside. I would call them and ask if they have your model and size.

Edited to add, the last city you go through where you will likely be able to purchase one is Park City, about 2.5 hours away (assuming you are coming through SLC).

Are you staying in Dutch John? If so, there is extremely limited resources there. You will be shopping in gas stations that double as restaurants and fly shops. I seem to remember the one we went into having some life jackets, not sure if they will have the specific model of the NRS, or if any of them were NRS. There are 2 gas stations, each with a fly shop inside. I would call them and ask if they have your model and size.

Edited to add, the last city you go through where you will likely be able to purchase one is Park City, about 2.5 hours away (assuming you are coming through SLC).
Well to tell you the truth I've never been there so I don't know where im staying or what I'm doing when I get there. I am driving in from Show Low, Az with my truck and truck camper so will need to find a shuttle and a place to park for the nights. No time frame or even a set date just in case someone from this forum is going to be there. It would be nice to put a mug with a name but realize that likely won't happen.

claude

Smolt
If by chance you're going through Flagstaff or Grand Junction there's rafting stores and REI at both. Durango has a good raft store also.

If by chance you're going through Flagstaff or Grand Junction there's rafting stores and REI at both. Durango has a good raft store also.
No Flag, 100 mi out of my way. I don't think there is a big store anywhere in my route. I do have to go to Tucson though and they have an REI store, I think. Ill check it out. Thanks.