Great White tracking

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'm pretty sure I saw a report of a great white sighting off Oregon within the last few days.

Though I have to wonder how many of those sightings are salmon sharks. After a season spent dealing with those things its pretty remarkable how similar to a great white they seem.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
those salmon sharks are nothing to fool with for sure, Gillnetting in S.E. Alaska I had a few terror filled nights dealing with those sharks while commercial fishing.

Prior to the 2021 season I had encountered 2 salmon sharks here in Washington, and one was a baby.

This last season I saw them probably close to every other day while salmon and bottomfishing. It was unreal how many of them were out there. Had a handful of encounters that were WAY closer than I would have preferred, and man those things scared the bejeebus out of me up close.

One day one of our other boats and I were both fishing over the same school of rockfish. The deckhand on that boat reached over the side to grab 2 rockfish that a client had brought to the surface and as he was reaching for the bottom fish a large salmon shark appeared and smashed it about 6" in front of him.

Less than a week later one bit this lingcod in half right at the side of my boat, then made an attempt on another immediately after. My deckhand was white as a ghost. This ling was in the 15 lb class and it was obviously not much more than a snack for that shark. Yikes.

IMG_20210703_172802_665.jpg

B

bennysbuddy

I had one tail slap me one night as I was getting it out of a gillnet, damm near knocked me out of the boat. their rough skin will really mess you up. I have great respect for them.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

I fished with Chris last year up in AK. He's the one that put me on that 47.5" halibut from the kayak. Very fishy dude!

gpt

Smolt
i was fishing the lee side of CXI, i asked the guide to just point me and pick me up. he suggested i not wade but instead walk the water line on the beach. i hook a huge trevally and was playing this fish as hard as i could. the fish was getting 'nervous' and i looked the other direction and here was a gray reef shark, 1/3 of his or her body out of the water, probably over 500#s, it was that shallow. grabbed the trevally and cut it off just behind the gill plate. i had a head to reel in and no wonder the guide told me to stay out of the water. the image above reminded me of that event.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
This might interest some folks.
SF

Been watching tagged GW, tigers, and a few other sharks on the east coast for the last eight years. Neat app they have.

patrick1

Smolt
Been watching tagged GW, tigers, and a few other sharks on the east coast for the last eight years. Neat app they have.
Flower was pinged off the beach I was fishing in October when I saw a shark cruising down the beach. Took a step back after seeing that.