Great Garage sale scores

Tuna Ball

Steelhead
I enjoy going to garage and estate sales. The thrill of finding amazing deals and the art of the haggle. Maybe others here do to. Feel free to share your bargain treasures as well.

My most recent score found on the way home from church at an estate sale. I found a few boxes with misc fishing gear and one full of fly hooks and a few materials. Most of the hooks were labeled $1-$4/box. Sunday was half off and last day so time to haggle..... I brought the box up and found the one to wheel and deal with. I showed her the box and asked for a bulk deal. My wallet was light so I only had $30 to offer and to my surprise she accepted.

There are no less than 60 packs of hooks, mostly 100 count and practically full. There were also a few packs of Partridge which look pricey. There also were around 15 lures, a couple I never heard of and two old school super dupers in the tubes. Now my daughter and I have no shortage of hooks for years to come.

IMG_20240128_162742560.jpg

IMG_20240128_162723937.jpg

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Not at a garage sale or estate sale, but I had the misfortune to live in Houston for a year. At a local bookstore, I found two new signed copies of Dave Hughes' Wet Flies there. I bought them both for $5 each and re-sold one of them for several multiples of the total Half Price Books purchase.

Tuna Ball

Steelhead
Last summer I picked up a Kestrel wind checker for $3 and sold for $100. Also got a set of three 9' Carlisle breakdown driftboat oars for $30. A MEC Jr 12ga press NIB for $20.

I look forward to spring cleaning sales. I need to sell off some stuff to fund new acquisitions.

Jim Allen

Steelhead
Last summer I picked up a Kestrel wind checker for $3 and sold for $100. Also got a set of three 9' Carlisle breakdown driftboat oars for $30. A MEC Jr 12ga press NIB for $20.

I look forward to spring cleaning sales. I need to sell off some stuff to fund new acquisitions.
I would be interested in purchasing one of those Carlisle breakdown oars if you were interested selling?

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My last killer deal was a new-with-tags NRS Chinook pfd for 12 bucks. Oh! And this weekend I scored 4 100 watt incandescent light bulbs for a dollar. They will go into a floodlight holder to keep a couple of the neighborhood abandoned kitties warm at night.

Millsfly

Steelhead
found a damn near min hardy perfect 1912 check for 60 bucks. I thought it was hot until I chatted with the guy who was British, was done fishing and his aunt tied flies for Hardy.

Lots of fly tying stuff, including a massive table of stuff for 125 that had at least 500 bucks in sink tips, all unused. Same estate sale I got a Ross Big Game for 65

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Mitchell 300, glass rod, Super Duper...picked up a lotta Russian River small mouths with that set-up, wading in cut-off's as a kid..
Mitchell 301 ( lefty ) Fenwick glass rod , lures , including the Super Duper . Or a fly , and bubble caught many of trout when first started fishing .

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Billy Pate Reel and Sage 12 wt, along with a Sage 509 reel, and some signed, framed fish art pictures and paintings.
Another time a bunch of polar bear and seal fur in all the good steelhead colors.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Year ago I answer a ad in CL for some float tubes in Fall City met the person I bought the float tube but he gave me two Toyota Tacoma truck full of tying material, fly rods, a bug collection in formaldehyde (which I gave to Anil @PSFC maybe too big for the little shop then it was over 100 bottles mounted).