Great ahi day

mems

Steelhead
1NQEqE3l.jpg

Aloha went offshore and had a great day getting ahi. this is a 20lber on a popper.
dYQAPcSl.jpg

50 lber on a popper
50tLAPol.jpg

80lber on chunk bait. The other fish took a while on my spin rod, so my arms were sore. Fought another 50lber but the hook pulled under the boat. I put out the chunk and told Eric it was his turn. When this one hit I gave him the rod. He fought it for 30 minutes, but his wrist was sore, so I took over. Fought it for another 20 minutes and it came to the surface. We saw a green shadow in the chip and thought it was a shark. I was pissed cause I have spent too much time and energy lately fighting sharks, so I buttoned down the drag and put the wood to it. fish swam up to the boat, and I tell Eric to get ready and cut the line, and Eric says, Hey bra, it's one ahi not a shark. I am like whoa shit, back the drag off and he gaffs it. Lesson learned, never cut the line until you see the fish!
XdmHzcsl.jpg

Lots of nice sashimi. Would have been a great day to get one on the fly, but boy are my arms tired from using small game tackle. Silverfly should have been with me.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Aloha Don. Now that's the way to enjoy retirement! Wish I was with you. I've still got a bunch of those poppers from the Baja trip. Sure I could cast one no problem on the 13wt (how the heck do you cast one on the Trevala?). Maybe once we get construction started on the new place we can swing a week off if airfare is reasonable.

Last edited: