Gravel Parking Lot - It fills me with Joy!

I was asked why do I do it? And my reply was simple, “It fills me with joy!”

The joy that I made it through another “growing season”, the joy of “slowing down”, the joy that I would get to shake hands and laugh with “seasonal” friends, the joy that I will get to watch the desert come to life again, the joy and excitement of hearing from a young and old person that caught a fish on a fly they tied (and the wide beaming smile of pride – I remember that feeling well)! The joy of “Opening Day” excitement, the joy of the first fish of this season, the joy of watching the first Chironomid hatch of the season! These are just a few of the things that fill with me joy and why I look forward “camping” in a gravel parking lot!

Years ago, somewhere between 25-30, I was like many of you that would rush out of work on Friday afternoon, rush to the lake/river, rush to fish and then rush home to repeat the week. I met several “old guys” in the gravel lot, and one of them “Gordon”, told me he would laugh at how we rushed through the weekend without slowing down enough to enjoy everything about the experience. He said “you boys need to slow down” and take it all in! Well, this year I “slowed down” enough to take a call from Gordon, the third week of February, and laughed at how excited he was at the joy of the coming season! I told him to “slow down” we still had to wait a few weeks and wait for the weather, and lake to unfreeze. He then called me several more time, to tell me about the weather, snow/ice, at his home and how he could hardly wait to get on the water! Again, I had to laugh! “Slow down” and enjoy the experience!

I enjoyed the weather although it was a lot colder than in years past (for longer), with more snow!

IMG_20230228_073901708.jpg
IMG_20230228_075017936.jpg
IMG_20230228_080056750.jpg
IMG_20230228_075343882.jpg
IMG_20230227_164633139.jpg
IMG_20230310_082347009_HDR.jpg
(Nope : Didn't fish that day, stayed inside then went to town - I choose my days)

I enjoyed the first of many fish to the net. The fish were healthy and became more scrappy as the water warmed and more food sources became available.

IMG_20230301_081923356.jpg
IMG_20230302_101412062_HDR.jpg

I ENJOYED having my dad (83 now) come stay with me and out fish me a couple of days. I have tried to convince him to use my wife’s walker bay but he is just so pigheaded. SO, he hung his feet in that 40 degree water for 4 days. Several people commented on seeing “a small sasquatch” running up and down the east hillside to warm up. But the happiness and excitement in him really brings me happiness.
IMG_20230308_090419677_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230306_100323655.jpg

Continued -----

Last edited:

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
And I enjoy (REALLY enjoyed) catching a True 18 incher, measured several times and picture angles, only 1 of 2 caught the entire time. (Measure Net!)
IMG_20230312_122400617_HDR.jpg

I do enjoy seeing what is being eaten, but I don’t overdo it, maybe one or two times a day. If the fish fights it I let them go, if they have fought long and hard I let them go, I have worked at it over years and think I am doing little if any harm. I also would not be doing this on “wild” or “native” fish, generally only on “Put and Take” lakes. I generally only got pictures in glass tubes that I like, but a friend gave me this great little tray with a scale glued down so I can see even more detail about “fish food”, thanks Chris! Maybe he gave it to me just to keep me ”out of the game” for longer, hahaha.
IMG_20230307_113044164.jpgIMG_20230317_102942120.jpg

I really enjoyed finding an incredible little bakery in Mattawa that required several visits a week! There is a Mexican restaurant and inside is the bakery. https://goo.gl/maps/5LmEFvAjYvCPGMd57 https://www.lapopularrestaurant.com/
IMG_20230228_121408771.jpgIMG_20230228_121415251.jpg

I enjoyed the gut busting laughter story about a mouse in the in the outhouse, heading down head first, with the scary question of “How high can a mouse just from the top of a frozen poop cone?”
IMG_20230317_190115300.jpg

I will always enjoy sharing my enjoyment you others!

A couple of great hook-ups
IMG_20230311_084925639_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230316_103052818.jpg

Brought my other ride, loaned my boat to my nephew for a few days... my wife didn't need the garden cart, it was snowing it raining while I was gone, hahahah.IMG_20230315_131040710_HDR.jpg

And the road headed home for now....
IMG_20230318_101304656.jpg

Month Data;

Avg Fish Size - 15.24 inches

Water Temp - 37.05 Low / 45.90 High

Temp – 22 Low / 61 High

Highest Sustained Wind - 25mph

Moon Cycle – Waxing Gibbous thru Wanning Crescent

Catching Best days – Stable to Falling Barometer (High or Fast Rising Barometer were rough/slow catch day)

Starting Date - March 1st

Ending Date – March 17th

Number of Days Fished – 15

Water Visibility – Start 3.5/4 feet – End 8.5+/- feet

Great to see @_WW_ , @skyriver , @troutpocket , @Waynerd , and Meet @dryflydan , @LBL

Last edited:

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Great report Shawn! Just spent three days in the basin with an old friend who is new to fly fishing and agree with you. It is about the community. Totally awesome seeing Billy, Buzzy and Engee! So much joy in having good fishing buddies. Hope to fish next to you some day. We missed you at Lenice by only a couple.

Last edited:

dep

Steelhead
always fun spending time with Shawn on the water. he is friendly, competitive and loves to share information. thanks Shawn!
and I think I know the Gordon you are talking about. I met him and a few of his friends at Chopaka two years ago.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Great post. Loved seeing you and your Dad smiling together. I miss mine terribly.

Any idea where I can pick up a specimen tube and specimen dish like what you used?

Happy weekend all.

Bob

Last edited:

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Great post. Loved seeing you and your Dad smiling together. I miss mine terribly.

Any idea where I can pick up a specimen tube and specimen dish like what you used?

Happy weekend all.

Bob
Damn, that's the truth! My dad and I fished together into his early 80 and only now that he's gone do I realize how cool that was. He taught me to flyfish in my early teens and we fished many awesome rivers and lakes from the east to the west coast and Canada over many years. Awesome pics Shawn - sounds like your dad is as stubborn as mine was. :)

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like your outlook on life. You find alot of things to "enjoy", I bet that's contagious to people you are around.

Happy fishing.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Very cool!

What are the little tan and white boats? Backwater?

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Very cool!

What are the little tan and white boats? Backwater?
Walker Bay... The company made several colorations over the years. But since the are sail boat tenders and day sailers I believe they only make white now.

A great fishing platform!

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Happy weekend all.

Bob
Hey Bob, so my long specimen the came from "Fry's kids science" department years ago, but I also more use and carry a couple of these from Hobby Lobby.

IMG_20230328_120914409.jpg
IMG_20230328_121108490.jpg

I think these long tubes might be similar from Amazon.

12PK Test Tubes, 50ml - Bakelite Screw Cap with Rubber Liner - Borosilicate 3.3 Glass - 5.9" x 1" - Round Bottom - Leak Proof - Eisco Labs https://a.co/d/7rWglvz

As I said the tray was a gift from a friend, but he said these would be very similar.

Tight lines.