Got any bird pics?

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
The big cranky local lady last week was giving me shade while sitting in an oddly symmetrically shaded scene.
For those who have ever tried to get a bird and the moon in balanced focus in the same scene, you know it cannot be done with any telephoto of size.

I used a 600mm and stopped this down to help bring the moon into some sort of detail, but it is moot. Can't happen.

11111222211111.jpg

Can't say 'unsung hero' with this Bewick's wren. They let you know they are around
bbbwww.jpg

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Still a unique photo of the Eagle.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
We've got a pair ripping a big stump apart..... They are nice birds to have in our yard.

I agree.
Not sure the reason why, but yesterday was woodpecker central at my place. That pole is directly across from my home office window and at least five pileated visited it yesterday. I also had three northern flickers in my front yard at the same time and a few hanging around in the backyard. The stellar jay didn't seem to happy with all the activity, but I sure enjoyed it. The barred owl across the street in the park was really going at it with calls last night and this morning. Fun time of year with all the bird activity.
SF

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Saw a mature bald eagle in the middle of a storm water pond while driving yesterday. Turned around to see what was what and when we got back there the eagle was on the bank and had nailed a duck, looked like a female mallard.

Jim F.

That is one pretty Rooster!

RCF

Life of the Party
I shared this thread with my oldest after an indication of a huge interest.

May have to look into a camera... Now to figure out what it will be... Suggestions? PM"s are fine...

Only can imagine what the interest in birds will become...

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
No pics but had an interesting encounter this morning. It was about 6:15. I had heard some owls while I was putting on my waders.
I was walking under some trees down to the beach when something hit my head, knocking it forward and flipping my hat off. I had my sunglasses on because I hate changing glasses while fishing. I could see something fly away but really wasn’t sure what it was. I assume an owl but didn’t get a great look at it as it was still kind of dark.
That was a first for me and my big melon.
SF

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
No pics but had an interesting encounter this morning. It was about 6:15. I had heard some owls while I was putting on my waders.
I was walking under some trees down to the beach when something hit my head, knocking it forward and flipping my hat off. I had my sunglasses on because I hate changing glasses while fishing. I could see something fly away but really wasn’t sure what it was. I assume an owl but didn’t get a great look at it as it was still kind of dark.
SF
That will catch your attention ! Were the owls deep hooting (great horned) or were they sort of staggered less deep hoot talking/chatting/sometimes pigeon cooing (barred owl)?

Barred owls are pretty notorious for taking hats and giving body taps, but generally never do much damage. If it was a great horned owl you would likely have known it was a serious attack and it probably would have come back for more. I know the biologists I have been around that deal with great horned owls wear hard helmets if around nests.

They can do a pretty good raking of the scalp.

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
SF
If you weren’t fully awake before, I suspect that you were after that encounter. Some fishers will do anything to protect their turf.
Steve

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
That will catch your attention ! Were the owls deep hooting (great horned) or were they sort of staggered less deep hoot talking/chatting/sometimes pigeon cooing (barred owl)?

Barred owls are pretty notorious for taking hats and giving body taps, but generally never do much damage. If it was a great horned owl you would likely have known it was a serious attack and it probably would have come back for more. I know the biologists I have been around that deal with great horned owls wear hard helmets if around nests.

They can do a pretty good raking of the scalp.

Definitely Barred Owls. Same sounds as the ones in the park across from my place.
Chatting and cooing. Was certainly an unexpected morning wake-up!
SF

Jim F.

Great photos, Rich. I'm 1 eye & a couple weeks recovery away from getting back in action (well, in & around remaining spring yard chores, lol.).