Got any bird pics?

Geese don't have nationalities, Canada goose/geese - a pet peeve of mine. Also, no such thing as "sea" gulls, just gull.....

I had a college professor that was a stickler for properly naming birds.
I stand corrected, the proper nomenclature should have read just Canada geese. I think I was blindsided by Spellchecker.😅

Also, as I live less than 300 miles from Canada and square in the middle of the Pacific Flyway, there's a real chance that they  were Canadian.😉

Was easily 100+ birds flying in a loose flocking manner, first flying south and then reversing, close enough to fill my entire field of vision and when they left the sky cleared in seconds.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
More local characters (playing with a teleconverter).
WC Sparrpw 3-24 1.JPG3-24.JPGGoose and Woodies.JPGWings.JPG

Jim F.

Any idea which song bird makes these nests?

Attachments

• Basket Nest.JPG
    Basket Nest.JPG
    716.1 KB · Views: 21

Jim F.

I wasn't aware of the Bushtit. Thanks @Mark Melton & @Cabezon. I'll set up in that spot and watch once the migration numbers pick-up one of these days. I have seen no activity around the old nests.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Another candidate is the red-eyed video. While not producing sock-like nests, they do weave lots of soft materials together to create a nest that hangs down and could look like your picture after a long winter.
Steve

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I would go with oriole. We have bushtit nests in the yard . Here they building them under overhanging conifer branches, like hemlock / fir. There is generally a small circular opening at the top. The ones I have seen generally are covered with a moss outer coating to blend in. Just an option.

Jim F.

What is the size of the nest? Depth and diameter at the top?
There are many nest in the area and they vary from baseball to softball size. The one pictured was of the larger variety.

RichS

Life of the Party
Favorite birds. After a recent post from Scott Salzer where he mentioned a bird being one of his favorites, I started wondering what my favorites are. So many awesome birds, not to mention mammals and other creatures. My Minnesota roots require that the Common Loon is number #1.
top9.JPG
In no particular ranking after that
Yellow Breasted chat: A pretty bird with a sassy attitude
top20.JPG
Swans- Trumpeters in this case

top23.JPG
Lazuli Buntings
top14.JPG
Bullock's Oriole
top18.JPG
Western Tanagers
top21.JPG
Kestrels- my favorite raptor
top3.JPG
Buffleheads
top5.JPG
Ruddy ducks
top16.JPG
American Avocets
top8.JPG
Yellow Warblers
top10.JPG
American Goldfinch
top22.JPG
Bald Eagles
top4.JPG
Not to mention Peregrine Falcons, Ospreys, Northern Harriers, various Jays, Bluebirds, Spotted Towhee, Varied Thrush, cardinals, Night Herons, Road Runners- so many wonderful birds. The favorites seem to change with the season and what I have seen lately.