Got any bird pics?

Nonose

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Dike broke on the samish river and flooded part of the short ears hunting grounds patched the hoe but still standing water

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Wow - great photos, Steve!

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter

Jim F.

I freely admit this next series of bird photos are all crap, I missed the shot, on the other hand sometimes the missed shot looks otherworldly
Not so, Boot. You caught what we most often miss.

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
I freely admit this next series of bird photos are all crap, I missed the shot, on the other hand sometimes the missed shot looks otherworldly
View attachment 99551View attachment 99556View attachment 99555View attachment 99554View attachment 99553View attachment 99552
The last shot catches the act, and in addition to showing the hood in profile, reveals how it uses its tail to push down on the water to help raise it up for the dive, which I did not know. Good shot! Jay

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Cabezon - great as usual!

Just a reminder, bring your hummer feeders in, keep them fed. Our hummers have been busy. Also, for those not in the know, don’t waste money on the red colored mix. Hummers are attracted to the feeder colors. One part sugar, four parts water, heat a bit to help dissolve the sugar. Keep those hummers that stay around happy. Some tend to stay through the winter because of the feeders.

Thanks
Scott, when you mention sugar, would raw honey work too ??? This might be something we do this year..

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have never heard of using raw honey since I don't have a source. You could do a search or perhaps others have experience with it.

Jim F.

Banner day, Rich!

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Canvasbacks are so hit-or-miss here on the Wetside. I have seen them at Capitol Lake (but not very close to shore). And those black-crowned night herons haven't expanded their range this far north.
Cool pics.
Steve

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In the mid-Willamette valley things have been iced up for several days. I set up a clamp-on flood light under the eaves and hung a hummingbird feeder in front of it. The nectar stays liquid down to at least 14 degrees, and the setup appears to have the seal of approval. (Sorry about the mini-blind)

EBF732C0-5EF3-43C7-934C-5A54F10B6EE1.jpeg

RCF

Life of the Party
Just it is so nice to see ducks, geese, various birds flying around today. Yesterday not so much, if at all...

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
For the last couple years the flickers have been eating the left over grapes when it snows. Not the best pic but I don't want to disturb it, hiding under the vine, too darn cold.
20240117_101513.jpg

Last edited: