Got any bird pics?

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Rufous Hummingbird, sheltering from the storm.
View attachment 77478
I'm diggin the yard art also, don't know how I missed this! Do you make those Mark?
So used to getting Osprey on a perch, typically the only reason they are on the beach is if they are scavenging, or prey is too heavy, maybe if they have to do a fine talon clean..
.1693754838358.png1693754890901.png

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ve seen Loons in the saltwater before, but not nearly as often as in freshwater.
I’ve been seeing a Loon lately on one particular beach I’ve been fishing. Very cool to hear their call early in the morning.
What would cause a Loon to take up residency in the salt rather than freshwater, a food source?
There are a lot of herring available at this beach.
SF

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The Osprey hatchlings were really talking last night. I couldn’t quite get a good picture of them. Their nest is on a cell tower at the Home Depot on Aurora Ave North. These birds definitely get to see some freaky stuff.
They should start their southern migration pretty soon.
SF

IMG_4654.jpeg

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
The Osprey hatchlings were really talking last night. I couldn’t quite get a good picture of them. Their nest is on a cell tower at the Home Depot on Aurora Ave North. These birds definitely get to see some freaky stuff.
They should start their southern migration pretty soon.
SF

View attachment 80995
Those guys are frequent kleptoparasitic victims of the Eagle family at Haller lake. Ground zero for the fish steals? Generally 60 feet above King County Hazardous waste dropoff or the Halcyon mobile home park. You could, if you were bold, stand on 125th and verify which of those two sites is the better for birding. You could also see, as you allude to, no shortage of other transactional relationships (including mating dances), preening behaviors, petty squabbles and so on between the flightless, nonmigratory birds of Aurora Avenue....

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I’ve seen Loons in the saltwater before, but not nearly as often as in freshwater.
I’ve been seeing a Loon lately on one particular beach I’ve been fishing. Very cool to hear their call early in the morning.
What would cause a Loon to take up residency in the salt rather than freshwater, a food source?
There are a lot of herring available at this beach.
SF
Love hearing that call they make. I saw/ heard one making that eerie sounding call one time while in full flight. I didn’t expect that.

It’s pretty common for them to migrate to and overwinter on the Sound, especially northern Puget Sound and on the Canal. I suspect for the abundant food source plus, the water doesn’t freeze.