Got any bird pics?

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nothing wrong with feeders, they can bring surprises. Had rose breasted grosbeak a number of years ago. Not common in Seattle.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Just going through some old photos, starting to fill out a checklist. This is guy is actually from last year in Bend (March); this Red Shafted Northern Flicker would sit and rata, tat, tat on our chimney; made one heck of a noise, kinda miss him.

858C6AEE-AAA3-4C07-BE51-1FD0926BF67B_1_105_c.jpeg

Cheers

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
With the Presidents’ Day weekend upcoming, my wife and I planned an adventure. We would visit dear friends who had retired out of Seattle onto a small farm in the North Cascade foothills and we would try to find several bird species that are known to hang out in the Samish Flats / Padilla Bay area. Our goal was to have a good look at short-eared owls that had been seen in the area; while this species does hunt at night, they will also forage during the day especially when their dominant prey, voles, are active. After three hours of driving in drizzle and heavy traffic, we arrived at the Samish Flats. And the drizzle, fortunately, let up.

As we walked down the dike that separates wetlands from some fields, we saw a good-sized bird perched on a post about five feet off the ground. Initially, we couldn’t tell if it was a northern harrier (having already seen several in the area) or a short-eared owl. But as we drew closer, it was clearly a short-eared owl!
ShortEaredOwl8562.jpg
These owls have a browner-tawnier gestalt than a Northern harrier. Both birds have a “spectacled look”. And at the same time, we saw two other short-eared owls cruising over a nearby field and harassing a northern harrier that was perched at the top of a short tree. Three short-eared owls in just a few minutes! Their flight is similar to that of a Northern harrier’s with slow, irregular wingbeats just over the vegetation propelled by broad wings. They slowly and quietly cruise erratically over shrubs and grasses waiting for an unwary rodent to make a mistake. And then they pounce.

We weren’t the only ones there looking for short-eared owls. As we drove by one right-angled bend in the road we saw a cluster of people of people armed with binocs and cameras with telephoto lens. What had attracted their attention was a short-eared owl perched on a post just off the road. So, we pulled U-turn and parked on the verge of the road. I joined the 15 or so photographers that kept about 30-50 feet from the perched owl.

This bird was totally unphased by the presence of a dozen or more photographers snapping its picture - quite the ham...
ShortEaredOwl8594.jpg
ShortEaredOwl8602.jpg
ShortEaredOwl8606.jpg
ShortEaredOwl8608.jpg
So, very success trip.

Steve

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Barrow’s Goldeneyes, eh? Stanley Park, Vancouver.

View attachment 55490

One of the great urban parks in North America, use to take number 1 son there all the time when he was just a wee pup.

Is the Great Horned from Stanley Park, there were always warnings for joggers, folks with the wrong kind of hat, bouncing pony tails etc, attacks were not uncommon.

cheers

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Successful worm hunt like a pointing bird dog followed up by the what are you looking at stare…..
SF

FE652549-5E71-4119-9304-3A22833BE9D6.jpeg489749EA-8048-444C-8F5E-8DFC9E3A4634.jpeg6D5224D4-8A6B-4FAE-9C27-F95972797D78.jpegFFB583BD-0B38-406F-A1AC-B128203C8062.jpeg49153E7D-B101-4874-AB13-1FEAB8C8DDF1.jpeg

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One of the great urban parks in North America, use to take number 1 son there all the time when he was just a wee pup.

Is the Great Horned from Stanley Park, there were always warnings for joggers, folks with the wrong kind of hat, bouncing pony tails etc, attacks were not uncommon.

cheers
The owl was in an ash swale about a dozen miles south of Salem, Oregon. Stanley Park is an urban treasure.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
playing around with shots at the fountain and bath, the birds were keen for a clean today
1677463974215.png
1677464031455.png
1677464070703.png
1677464118329.png
1677464157299.png
I replaced my fountain pump this past fall, normally I turn it off when it is really cold, but wanted to see what happened with this snap,not sure how to describe old Shakespeare here, he kinda had an ice scrotum for a while. And yeah, I know, he needs a little mold scrubbing
1677464239710.png

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
playing around with shots at the fountain and bath, the birds were keen for a clean today
View attachment 56066
View attachment 56071
View attachment 56072
View attachment 56073
View attachment 56074
I replaced my fountain pump this past fall, normally I turn it off when it is really cold, but wanted to see what happened with this snap,not sure how to describe old Shakespeare here, he kinda had an ice scrotum for a while. And yeah, I know, he needs a little mold scrubbing
View attachment 56075
I love the crow! He's sure giving someone some stuff!