Goodbye, Aunt S

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
I lost my favorite Aunt earlier today and it has me reeling a bit, though I knew it was coming. I’m posting this stream-of-consciousness as a way for me to celebrate her and to start processing her death. Oof.

Aunt S was funny, beautiful, smart, successful, had class for days, was an amazing hostess, a kind person, the love of my Uncle R’s life, and an incredible all-around human being.

Aunt S loved to fly fish. She became a bit of a raft/drift boat princess in her later years after an ankle injury (from a dog sledding accident in Glacier) made wading long distances tough, but she had a passion for trout fishing and was equally at home with bamboo and brookies, browns on the Big Hole, or fishing small water for big fish in Chile. She was deadly out of a boat with dries, favoring bamboo or a Winston and showcasing excellent presentation with a ridiculous amount of mojo.

She loved to travel, she enjoyed a cocktail, great food, and great conversation, and she loved supporting charitable causes.

She was the last alive (aside from me) to really know my spirit name - given to me by my uncles one summer we spent on the river in MT.

A few months ago Aunt S rang me up and let me know she had ALS. It seemed particularly cruel, given that she had to watch her husband (my favorite Uncle, a legend) die of pancreatic cancer some years ago.

As expected, she handled it with same class and stoicism. She orchestrated her last months and weeks with the same smooth touch she applied to everything else the universe threw at her during her life.

I headed out to see her (in MT, where she lived), then headed out again last month for what we knew would be a final visit. On that visit I brought my daughter as well - they really loved each other and I’m glad we were able to engineer that visit when my Aunt could still talk.

When we visited she generously gifted us with some family items chock-full of sentimental value. Among other things (an amazing collection of first edition Steinbecks, some of our family art, etc, etc.) she also gifted me a bunch of her fly fishing gear including a few of her favorite rods; a sweet custom boo made by a friend of ours and her trusty 6 wt Winston. Priceless.

This morning I was thinking of her and texted her the first stanza of a Robert Service poem (kind of an inside family thing, as we all used to read Robert Service poems around the fishing camp growing up). When she hadn’t responded after a few hours, I felt something had happened and sure enough I was contacted early this afternoon and informed that she had passed away.

I will miss my Aunt S. We will not see her like again.

IMG_2332.jpegIMG_0643.jpeg

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'm very sorry for your loss.

She sounds like a wonderful woman who had a big impact on your life. You painted a great picture of an amazing woman with your words.

The world would be a better place if everyone had an Aunt S.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
What a fitting tribute to someone that was quite obviously very special to you. I have a hunch she’d be very proud of you for what you wrote about her. RIP Auntie.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I am sorry for your loss. I had an uncle pass a couple years ago, and inherited a few of his rods and flies. I have made it my goal to take those rods places he never took them, and to fish those flies as hard as I can. When I hook up on Dave's gear, or take his rod some place cool, all his brothers get a picture. Their dad just passed a couple weeks ago, and they all expressed a solace to me at his memorial that they took from those texts.

I connect with him every time I touch his corks or thread his eyes. I hope you find the comfort I have found in finding his soul in his tools.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Appears she made a huge impact on your life and those around her. Good on you for celebrating her life and sharing. The world needs more humans of that cut. Thanks again for sharing.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your Aunt S sounds like an amazing woman who lived a wonderful life and has left many positive and meaningful impressions. My condolences to you and your family.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
My condolences. I also had a favorite fly-fishing, remarkable Montana Aunt. Special Aunts are just that . . . Special.

I lost my favorite Aunt earlier today and it has me reeling a bit, though I knew it was coming. I’m posting this stream-of-consciousness as a way for me to celebrate her and to start processing her death. Oof.

Aunt S was funny, beautiful, smart, successful, had class for days, was an amazing hostess, a kind person, the love of my Uncle R’s life, and an incredible all-around human being.

Aunt S loved to fly fish. She became a bit of a raft/drift boat princess in her later years after an ankle injury (from a dog sledding accident in Glacier) made wading long distances tough, but she had a passion for trout fishing and was equally at home with bamboo and brookies, browns on the Big Hole, or fishing small water for big fish in Chile. She was deadly out of a boat with dries, favoring bamboo or a Winston and showcasing excellent presentation with a ridiculous amount of mojo.

She loved to travel, she enjoyed a cocktail, great food, and great conversation, and she loved supporting charitable causes.

She was the last alive (aside from me) to really know my spirit name - given to me by my uncles one summer we spent on the river in MT.

A few months ago Aunt S rang me up and let me know she had ALS. It seemed particularly cruel, given that she had to watch her husband (my favorite Uncle, a legend) die of pancreatic cancer some years ago.

As expected, she handled it with same class and stoicism. She orchestrated her last months and weeks with the same smooth touch she applied to everything else the universe threw at her during her life.

I headed out to see her (in MT, where she lived), then headed out again last month for what we knew would be a final visit. On that visit I brought my daughter as well - they really loved each other and I’m glad we were able to engineer that visit when my Aunt could still talk.

When we visited she generously gifted us with some family items chock-full of sentimental value. Among other things (an amazing collection of first edition Steinbecks, some of our family art, etc, etc.) she also gifted me a bunch of her fly fishing gear including a few of her favorite rods; a sweet custom boo made by a friend of ours and her trusty 6 wt Winston. Priceless.

This morning I was thinking of her and texted her the first stanza of a Robert Service poem (kind of an inside family thing, as we all used to read Robert Service poems around the fishing camp growing up). When she hadn’t responded after a few hours, I felt something had happened and sure enough I was contacted early this afternoon and informed that she had passed away.

I will miss my Aunt S. We will not see her like again.

View attachment 102837View attachment 102838
I'm so sorry for your loss. It was great to know her through you words.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So sorry for your loss, I will lift you and your family up today and in the coming days.

This tribute is very nice, and something we can aspire to have said when we go.

flybill

Life of the Party
My condolences as well! I lost one of my aunt's recently! She was an amazing lady! Thank you for sharing her story! Peace to you and your family! Bill

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful tribute to Aunt S. She was obviously a wonderful person. I'm sorry for your loss.