Good varnish thinner

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
I have a bottle of Sally Hansen's that is getting a bit too thick for my liking but there's a load left and I'd rather not just bin it. What do folks recommend to thin this down? I'd rather avoid acetone or other more extreme solvents if there is a less toxic alternative as my fly tying space is not that well ventilated.

Thanks for any suggestions,

David

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ve used nail polish remover. Start with just a bit, shake it up and wait a bit to see if it thins to where you’d like it.
If not, add just a bit more and continue doing so until you get the consistency you want. A bottle of polish remover will last a really long time and is cheap.
Another option is buy a new bottle of Sally’s and add some of the new stuff to the old bottle, which will thin it out.
SF

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Thanks Guys,

WW is correct, acetone is really bad for your lungs but that said SS already stinks too. I worked in a lab and acetone was something that you only used in a chemical fume hood so not the best idea to expose yourself to a lot of it or persistently in the home. Maybe I take the acetone route but just bulk varnish my flies in the kitchen fume hood....

Dave

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Do yourself a favor and throw that shit in the trash. I can't believe you guys are still using that stuff in the confined area of your tying bench. Despite it's claims of being non-toxic it still contains toxic compounds that are harmful to your respiratory system and can cause serious problems over time. View it as little doses of death.

For your long term health as a fly tier I would suggest Loon water based cement. Odorless, quick drying and 2 coats give a nice low luster gloss. Plus it wicks. Put a drop on the bead head of a fly and it wicks into the collar as if by magic. Be safe, live long, be healthy. Keep toxic out of your life.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Do yourself a favor and throw that shit in the trash. I can't believe you guys are still using that stuff in the confined area of your tying bench. Despite it's claims of being non-toxic it still contains toxic compounds that are harmful to your respiratory system and can cause serious problems over time. View it as little doses of death.

For your long term health as a fly tier I would suggest Loon water based cement. Odorless, quick drying and 2 coats give a nice low luster gloss. Plus it wicks. Put a drop on the bead head of a fly and it wicks into the collar as if by magic. Be safe, live long, be healthy. Keep toxic out of your life.
I use Sally Hansons but will give the Loon water based cement a try.

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Anyone else use the Loon varnish. I was at pacific fly fishers the other week and saw the Loon thinner for water based stuff and obviously knew it would not work on SHHAN. I mainly use epoxy so not too fussed but do like the sheen that SH creates and like it for dries and soft hackles etc where the soaking and shine ar great. It is good for mids too.

Dave