Good news for fish. Puget sound net pen permits not renewed.

Chucker

Steelhead
Seattle times is reporting that the commissioner of state lands has (finally) denied Cooke Aquaculture’s request to have their last two net pen permits renewed. No more net pens after the end of the year.

Seattle times is reporting that the commissioner of state lands has (finally) denied Cooke Aquaculture’s request to have their last two net pen permits renewed. No more net pens after the end of the year.

Gotta give credit to WFC on this one. Their "Our Sound Our Salmon" campaign led the charge on this and got it done.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
It will be interesting to see how Rich Passage fishes over time, never found it to be particularly productive despite all the ingredients. Maybe it was the net pens and not my mediocre technique and poorly tied flies

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The fact the state even entertained this with the proven history of destruction and a failure is amazing to me. This is made especially more crazy given the state of our native salmon and steelhead in the sound. Perhaps they were afraid of being sued? Someone saw money? It's allot like taking a long time to decide Charles Manson shouldn't be allowed to be a school teacher. Yes, they made the right call but was it really a hard call to make?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I said this on the other thread and I'll say it here...

Fuck sea based net pen fish farms. Fuck Cooke and their lies and shitty business practices. This is good news for native fish and good news for the puget sound.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I said this on the other thread and I'll say it here...

Fuck sea based net pen fish farms. Fuck Cooke and their lies and shitty business practices. This is good news for native fish and good news for the puget sound.

Agreed. It's a painfully obvious call to make

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The fact the state even entertained this with the proven history of destruction and a failure is amazing to me. This is made especially more crazy given the state of our native salmon and steelhead in the sound. Perhaps they were afraid of being sued? Someone saw money? It's allot like taking a long time to decide Charles Manson shouldn't be allowed to be a school teacher. Yes, they made the right call but was it really a hard call to make?
Everything any state agency does, there is some level of fear of being sued. Here's a case where the agency decided to risk a lawsuit by doing the right thing, which is nice to see when they're probably going to be sued either way. But, they also decided to be patient and work the legal angles so that if and when they get sued for not renewing leases, it is likely to stand up. There are lots of things to be frustrated with this state about but I hope we can give credit where it's due here. Kudos to WA DNR and Commissioner Franz for this move--slow or not, it took political will and capital.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Everything any state agency does, there is some level of fear of being sued. Here's a case where the agency decided to risk a lawsuit by doing the right thing, which is nice to see when they're probably going to be sued either way. But, they also decided to be patient and work the legal angles so that if and when they get sued for not renewing leases, it is likely to stand up. There are lots of things to be frustrated with this state about but I hope we can give credit where it's due here. Kudos to WA DNR and Commissioner Franz for this move--slow or not, it took political will and capital.
Pretty sure Cooke has already sued once and lost. Not to say they won't sue again though. It's the American way!

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
There is a net pen in Port Angeles Harbor that was growing salmon but has been repurposed to grow "steelhead" since the failure of the pen in the islands. In Cooke's effort to gain an ally the PA operation is now a joint venture between Cooke and the local tribe. I hope the tribes involvement in this enterprise does not prevent this new policy from being implemented here.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There is a net pen in Port Angeles Harbor that was growing salmon but has been repurposed to grow "steelhead" since the failure of the pen in the islands. In Cooke's effort to gain an ally the PA operation is now a joint venture between Cooke and the local tribe. I hope the tribes involvement in this enterprise does not prevent this new policy from being implemented here.

It certainly thickens the plot.

tatross

Smolt
Forum Supporter
The hope island operation is within site of my home .
From the several years I have lived here I've observed the day to day operations at the site.
I will continue to watch the ongoing operations and see if the pens are removed.
Stay tuned.

mbowers

Smolt
It will be interesting to see how Rich Passage fishes over time, never found it to be particularly productive despite all the ingredients. Maybe it was the net pens and not my mediocre technique and poorly tied flies
Interesting indeed. Chile has 17 times higher density of fish farms that are probably worse run than the ones in BC and yet Chile's wild chinook are invasive and expanding their range while growing to 70lbs.

I don't expect any measurable benefit to wild fish. If there's some real, unbiased science out there that shows a benefit please point me to it.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Interesting indeed. Chile has 17 times higher density of fish farms that are probably worse run than the ones in BC and yet Chile's wild chinook are invasive and expanding their range while growing to 70lbs.

I don't expect any measurable benefit to wild fish. If there's some real, unbiased science out there that shows a benefit please point me to it.

WDFW isn't managing in Chile. That's why pinks are so bountiful, no WDFW management. It's science these observations. You can't deny the science.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'll take predictably obvious outcomes for a thousand Alex.

It's gonna happen. Big money corps and tribes run stuff here. I wouldn't be shocked if our green governor in chief steps in, green washes it, and touts it as a big win for climate and orcas.
What's gonna happen? It looks to me like the Chairman of one Tribe is sort of positioning in opposition to WA DNR and a slew of other Tribes.

“Even though (Franz) is making this announcement, it’s not dead on arrival,” Allen said. “Do we litigate, or do we legislate? We may have to go back to the Legislature.”

There are pelnty of things still playing out here and I think the outcome is not exactly foreseeable.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What's gonna happen? It looks to me like the Chairman of one Tribe is sort of positioning in opposition to WA DNR and a slew of other Tribes.

“Even though (Franz) is making this announcement, it’s not dead on arrival,” Allen said. “Do we litigate, or do we legislate? We may have to go back to the Legislature.”

There are pelnty of things still playing out here and I think the outcome is not exactly foreseeable.

The Great Karnac has foreseen litigation. Much litigation to come.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
And so it starts.

JayB

Steelhead
If we know anything in WA, its that there's no way that a commercial enterprise would use the exemptions granted to tribes as a cynical work around to establish and profit from an enterprise that would otherwise be illegal and use the proceeds to buy influence with lawmakers. Get real, people.