Good Inexpensive Lines!

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter

I bought 3 of these lines recently. Finally got them spooled-up and headed out to a local lake for a test drive. I purchased a WF intermediate , WF Floater and a WF Type 6 full sink.

WF Full Sink-- this is my biggest surprise. This line performs beautifully. I gave it a stretch in the boat and never had one tangle in 3hrs of use. Really cast easily and long and seems to get down quickly. No complaints..

WF Intermediate--this is also a full sink line. Again almost tangle free. Being a new line it didn't want to break the surface and Sink at first. So I again stretched it to get it to lay flat on the water and it slowly started to sink in bits and pieces. So I started to put the tip of my rod under the water and put on a beadhead fly and let it sink for awhile. Used it for panfish and after an hour of use it was working fine. It's light green in color. I'm used to using a clear int. line, so it weird to actually see the line. Made me want to put on a longer leader..

WF Floater--I only used this line with an indicator. It was slick and allowed for easy cast. The tip seems thinner than my last Floater. Hopefully it will continue to float. Truth be told, lm not much of a floating line guy but if ya need one ya need one. Should work for dry fly presentations.

All told I'm pleased with these lines and think they perform perfectly fine especially for the price..

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter

I bought 3 of these lines recently. Finally got them spooled-up and headed out to a local lake for a test drive. I purchased a WF intermediate , WF Floater and a WF Type 6 full sink.

WF Full Sink-- this is my biggest surprise. This line performs beautifully. I gave it a stretch in the boat and never had one tangle in 3hrs of use. Really cast easily and long and seems to get down quickly. No complaints..

WF Intermediate--this is also a full sink line. Again almost tangle free. Being a new line it didn't want to break the surface and Sink at first. So I again stretched it to get it to lay flat on the water and it slowly started to sink in bits and pieces. So I started to put the tip of my rod under the water and put on a beadhead fly and let it sink for awhile. Used it for panfish and after an hour of use it was working fine. It's light green in color. I'm used to using a clear int. line, so it weird to actually see the line. Made me want to put on a longer leader..

WF Floater--I only used this line with an indicator. It was slick and allowed for easy cast. The tip seems thinner than my last Floater. Hopefully it will continue to float. Truth be told, lm not much of a floating line guy but if ya need one ya need one. Should work for dry fly presentations.

All told I'm pleased with these lines and think they perform perfectly fine especially for the price..

What color is the floating line and the type 6 line?

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
If I had to guess they are Rio lines as I haven’t found too many companies making 4wt sink 6. If that’s the case the sink 6 is black, sink 3 is brownish/black.
You think these are the rio mainstream lines?
I guess that would make sense because like you said, not a lot of 4wt type 6 lines out there.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
You think these are the rio mainstream lines?
I guess that would make sense because like you said, not a lot of 4wt type 6 lines out there.

The website says they cost $60. Mainstream is like $40. I was thinking SA Frequency or Cortland 444, but neither of them have a 4wt s6.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I think we can rule out Rio Mainstream; @Wetswinger said his intermediate is light green, whereas Rio Mainstream intermediate is clear.

It’s possible that they are Airflo lines. The monarchy has all kinds of weird stuff, when it comes to stillwater, and that might explain the 4wt s6. Airflo seem to have collapsed, since the acquisition, so that might explain the “factory overruns”.

On that note, what a sad thing; I loved Airflo, when Rajeff was running the show. How do you ruin a great brand that quickly?!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Airflo at one time did runs of odd lines that they sold in Europe. I bought a few. They didn’t match the colors and specs of the same lines over here. Some of them I received weren’t size correctly based on the grain wt and they came in the wrong line box, but I was told to expect that when I bought them.
They fished fine though.
SF