NFR Golfers in

Non-fishing related

TDub

No fish here
Forum Supporter
Holy shit, that's pretty good. Did you play in HS or college? I'm still trying to break 90 consistently.

Shad

Life of the Party
Had no idea you were such a stick. 78 ties my personal best, and it's been many moons since that round.

I love the game, and I'm thinking I need to start playing more. I actually played competitively in high school (our team wasn't very good; I traveled with about a 12 handicap), but after I had to start paying for everything, I played a lot less. Between spending most of my leisure time fishing and not having many friends that play, golf has taken a back seat. I pick it up again on occasion, and I'm realizing that if you do it right (go at twilight and walk instead of using a cart), it's often cheaper than going fishing, because fishing costs $20 or more in gas alone, to say nothing of the vehicle wear and tear. It's also good, low impact exercise (if you walk, a typical round is about 7 miles), and that's something I need more of these days.

You've inspired me to (maybe) try again soon, before we completely lose twilight. If I do, I will most likely NOT be posting my scorecard....

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
The closest I ever came to golf was going to a driving range and hitting a bucker of golf balls. I used to watch golf when Tiger played because he was good at it. Now I don't ever turn it on.

I just don't understand the game otherwise. Hit a little ball around a cow pasture and chase it as you hit it to put in a little hole in the ground. All I see about it is the exercise you get walking 7000 yards plus.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
As my kids have gotten older, I keep wishing the bargain driving range and par 3 course we used to have around here was still open because they might get into playing.

That said, while I enjoy the act of golfing, I don't really enjoy the golf scene. Unless you are at a blue-collar public course, so many golfers are rich pompous asses who aremostly in a terrible mood about how badly they are playing a game. And talk about an expensive hobby. A dozen rounds of golf at a decent course will pay for the nicest fly rod out there. And in an age of drought and environmental problems in our watersheds, it's hard to get excited about the water and chemicals used to keep those greens lush.

That said, I have some great memories of playing with friends and I suspect I'd get back into it if I had more friends who played now (or my kids were interested). As it is, I hit a couple of buckets at a range once in a while, but that's about it.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As my kids have gotten older, I keep wishing the bargain driving range and par 3 course we used to have around here was still open because they might get into playing.

That said, while I enjoy the act of golfing, I don't really enjoy the golf scene. Unless you are at a blue-collar public course, so many golfers are rich pompous asses who aremostly in a terrible mood about how badly they are playing a game. And talk about an expensive hobby. A dozen rounds of golf at a decent course will pay for the nicest fly rod out there. And in an age of drought and environmental problems in our watersheds, it's hard to get excited about the water and chemicals used to keep those greens lush.

That said, I have some great memories of playing with friends and I suspect I'd get back into it if I had more friends who played now (or my kids were interested). As it is, I hit a couple of buckets at a range once in a while, but that's about it.

As much fun as people have bashing golf courses they are prime habitat for birds etc. They are open space that would likely be a trailer park or housing if not open space for a golf course. They do consume water that's a fact but so would the homes that might occupy that space. In Seattle and Olympia places where there are golf courses avoid being converted into drug camps. I say it's a win for the community around them. Golf courses are far more pleasing to the eye and wildlife than most other uses.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Montana has some surprisingly nice courses. Used to really like one in Missoula when i was there in the 80s. Don't play much anymore, but used to hang with some minitour wannabes. We'd stage tournaments in areas with lots of good courses like the tricities area or Spokane. Played to a low single digit handicap for many years, these days I'd be damn happy with anything near the 70s. :) Last full round was last year, shot 84 @ Port Ludlow.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I hate the game. Worked at a golf course as a teenager, first as a caddy (caddied in the Canadian Open at Richelieu Valley, 1973), then in the back shop, occasionally in the front. Was down to mid single-digits handicap in my later teen years, then life came along, didn't play or keep up - tried to go back to it, could never get back to where I had been, incredibly frustrating, I hate the game - "Golf is a good walk spoiled".

cheers

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Not even close to what I have experienced. I've met some fine people on the golf course, and shared some great rounds with the people I've met.
I fully acknowledge that this sort of thing is going to vary with everyone's personal experience. Who you are with, where you are, luck of the draw, and all that. And I admit that I've met some number of awesome friendly folks too. But in general, I've not been impressed. Perhaps I don't play the right courses. Or perhaps my experiences now would be different than they were in the past. Who knows. All I can report is what I've encountered.

And to be really clear, I'm not accusing any here of being an asshole just because they are a golfer. Just as I'd cast a line with anyone here, I'd swing a club as well (I mean, if I ever got around to golfing these days).

I have friends that are course superintendents. The good ones are fine stewards of the environment.
I think that is going to vary significantly on the specific course, its specific needs, its location, and what "good steward" means to a particular person. A course in WA and a course in AZ are going to have significantly different impacts. As are a workaday muni links style course and a high-end parkland style one where everything has to be perfect. Or hell, a course in a place where they have stronger water quality laws vs a place where they don't care as much.