Godshall built Iconoglass

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Looks awesome! What's the target species?
The intended use is as a boat rod for Northern Pike. The removable butt is for figure eights at the boat, and 2 hand overhead casts, I also like to rest the butt against my for arm when fighting a fish on the reel.
I can see it getting some use on the coast in the winter with a short skagit searching for steelhead on small brushy water systems.
Carp - haven’t fished for them yet, but I have tied my first 3 carp flies as of yesterday, and I’ve gone scouting a few times. This would be single hand work.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Nice! I've got a 10 wt Baja rod featuring that same color in the pipeline.
I have the ten in that color for tigers and tuna. You're going to love it

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Beautiful build, one to be proud to own... Question; does the longer fighting butt snug-up into the rod without screwing in? Is there a plug to use when not in use? Very innovative concept!

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Beautiful build, one to be proud to own... Question; does the longer fighting butt snug-up into the rod without screwing in? Is there a plug to use when not in use? Very innovative concept!
I do not have a plug, I will probably just use a cork stopper. The removable butt is a press fit. It has a 1/4” gap between sections when pushed together, a continued push with a slow twist gets it down to 3/16 or less. It feels quite secure. I will see how it works for fishing tomorrow!

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I do not have a plug, I will probably just use a cork stopper. The removable butt is a press fit. It has a 1/4” gap between sections when pushed together, a continued push with a slow twist gets it down to 3/16 or less. It feels quite secure. I will see how it works for fishing tomorrow!
He may have put an internal plug in it just few inches up. ??

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
He may have put an internal plug in it just few inches up. ??
No plug, I will use the butt. Not worried unless I fish without it, then it’s stopper time.
Is it possible to see a close up of the pieces that fit together? I am also curious what this fighting butt looks like facing up.
I hope this is what you’re after. The assembled pic is pushed tight with a twist as I would when fishing.944D8FEA-C296-4FBC-8CDD-605690F6A3D1.jpeg4799EC10-C7B2-4024-9373-55C751723015.jpeg0C274A61-0737-408B-82DA-264A268E4856.jpeg

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I finally got to get it on the water! I started with a commando groove 350 as levels are high and I wanted to swing. 10 8wt s6 versitip and an unweighted shank. It really felt good, had to increase rod angle on the sweep because it’s so short, but not too much stroke adjustment needed. The 350 really felt about right grain wise, I comfortably fished at about 50’.
I then tried a Rio skagit trout #5 375 grain and a bunny tailed shank with a tungsten bead. Not very forgiving, it went but was a lot of work. Swapped for a hairwing on an AJ 1.5 and it flew, comfortably fishing at 60’
There is more power reserved in the butt than I thought there would be from flexing it. Going to get it out and overhand it, threw a few with the commando and despite the weight it cast well. I’m really happy with this rod and will seriously consider buying a 4wt Iconoglass from NFC and having it shipped to Steve Godshall…

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Thank you for the pics! I am actually building the same blank:View attachment 14688
I think you will be pleased, getting mine out again soon! The extended butt section stayed tight and I have no worries of it coming loose. I did have one ferrule loosen, but I was snap T/Z casting with a few doubles thrown in when the wind changed direction.
It looks like you’re about finished - I like the silver wraps!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I just received this today. I am really happy with the build, and how the flex of the Iconoglass feels. I can’t wait to get it out on the water. Removable fighting butt for figure 8’s at the boat, some 2hand overhead, and I won’t be able to help trying a commando and skagit cast it.
Stoked!View attachment 14201View attachment 14202View attachment 14203View attachment 14204
Ok, first off, apologies for blasting this from the past back to the future!

Buuut, hear me out, I really really want to know where you've settled for SH skagit preferences for this rod. @PhilR finally (I know, right?) finished off mine for me (I had decided that rod building just wasn't my jam) and I took it out today. Of course, all I had was my home spliced intermediate skagit that weighs in right at 262gr (perfect for my Steffen 7/8 and several other 7wt glass rods), but this blank isn't your average 8wt. As you know, it's far more powerful. Hell, my 10wt IG is almost a 12. Anyway, I really want to know what your thoughts are on your skagit exploits with this. I found a 350gr Commando head in the garage once I got home, so that'll go on next.

🍻

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Ok, first off, apologies for blasting this from the past back to the future!

Buuut, hear me out, I really really want to know where you've settled for SH skagit preferences for this rod. @PhilR finally (I know, right?) finished off mine for me (I had decided that rod building just wasn't my jam) and I took it out today. Of course, all I had was my home spliced intermediate skagit that weighs in right at 262gr (perfect for my Steffen 7/8 and several other 7wt glass rods), but this blank isn't your average 8wt. As you know, it's far more powerful. Hell, my 10wt IG is almost a 12. Anyway, I really want to know what your thoughts are on your skagit exploits with this. I found a 350gr Commando head in the garage once I got home, so that'll go on next.

🍻
My skagit use of this rod never really developed. I have been using an RPL 8100-3 IMG_1576.jpeg
in those situations.
I like the Iconoglass with a Cortland compact #7/8 s9, SA Titan I/2/3, and the old Rio Pike/Musky intermediate #8 for overhead use.
Get that 350 strung up and give it a go, definitely in the ballpark. I have been having thoughts of trying this as a skagit rod again. Thanks for the prompt. I need to experiment more.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I should add that my skagit work was two hand, 300 might be a closer sweet spot for single hand skagit work. Let me know where your preferences end up grain wise.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I should add that my skagit work was two hand, 300 might be a closer sweet spot for single hand skagit work. Let me know where your preferences end up grain wise.
definitely...next time out I'll take the 350 and the 300 and see where I like it.

For my Steffen 8wt, I started out with the 300, it worked great, but gradually I lightened up to the 250-270 range. The Iconoglass 8wt is a completely different animal from what I can tell thus far.