Giant Patterns

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I remember when I saw my first blue water pattern. Compared to the size of trout flies, the streamers were HUGE. Now those huge patterns are used in freshwater for very large trout and browns and I have a feeling we should be using that size and even larger for bass.

I've noticed there is a trend toward giant lures in the world of LMB spin fishing. I mean really big. Some of the crank baits and poppers I've seen are a good 8 inches long. They need to use supper heavy rods to cast the things but they are fooling some very large bass.

As usual, in an effort to mimic what is working for the bass master type guys, I predict we will also start using very large patterns for bass.

I've been looking for very large foam pencil popper bodies but the ones I've found ... and they indicate they are for salt water fishing ... are far too small compared to what the spin guys are using. Sooooo..... I have a plan to come up with much bigger surface poppers that will bring up the big guys to eat... but it is just a plan.

In the meantime, I may start trying some of my salt patterns for LMB. They do have very large mouths and would have no trouble eating just about anything we tossed into their range. Some of you may already be using giant offerings for LMB, if so, are they working or just a bitch to cast?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Talk to @Billy

His topwater stuff is biiiig. It takes me and my 10wt to throw it. When I get largemouth bass by-catch while tiger fishing it's almost always on black/chartreuse 10" fly...e.g. a 10wt fly.

If I were targeting largemouth, I'd probably be throwing my 10wt because of those flies.

Regarding how easy or hard big streamers are to cast, that really depends. I've gone in the direction with my fly design of getting the same profile while using both different materials and sparser materials such that I could conceivably throw it on an 8wt.

Wyfly

Just Hatched
I spent a number of years fishing conventional tackle for largemouth and found it to be absolutely wild what sort of monstrosities people throw and catch giant largemouth on. If you are unfamiliar, just look up Larry Dahlbergs whopper plopper, or an umbrella rig. Applying the bigger is better theory to flies seems to be a bit trickier as I’ve spent time throwing some huge stuff (9”type musky flies) without much success, then that same day caught fish immediately after switching to a smaller game changer etc. Seems to be that the action of the fly really matter most. While bass absolutely will eat giant flies, the flies with lots of action are key. The flies Billy posted above are absolutely that type of fly that just draws in big buckets. Blades, rattles, etc.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
What size rod are you using @Billy? I've used minimum a 8wt to toss poppers, but, as the size goes up, I imagine you need to up your line wt and rod to carry the fly.

I would think tying flies for pike and muskie, would carry over to big big bass.