Getting too old

iggie

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hate to admit it, I think I am getting too old to fish alone.
I have boats and need someone to fish the Santiam system.
I am retired and can fish any time. If interested PM me.

Ed Igleheart

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I hear you, Ed. Good luck. Both of my long-time partners moved after retirement.

iggie

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I thought it would be a long shot to find someone in this area.
Thanks for looking. I will try closer to home.

Ed

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
When living in Salem Rich Younger introduced me to the N fork...a fine fishery that few attend

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Little North Fork has been closed to the public since the Labor Day conflagration in 2020. The entire road has essentially been turned into a private lane for residents only and is heavily patrolled.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
The Little North Fork has been closed to the public since the Labor Day conflagration in 2020. The entire road has essentially been turned into a private lane for residents only and is heavily patrolled.
I'm not familiar with the story behind this...

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
On Labor Day of 2020 an extremely strong east wind, over 70 mph in some of the mountain passes, drove a series of blowtorch conflagrations through parts of Oregon's Willamette and Mt Hood national forests. Five of the fires exceeded 100,000 acres each. The Lionshead fire started about 12 miles west of the town of Warm Springs, which is on the Deschutes. In a matter of a few hours it raced over the Cascades and burned through the town of Detroit and on to the west. It merged with the Beachie Creek fire, just over the ridge to the north of Detroit, which exploded the same day and incinerated much of the canyon of the Little North Fork, eventually burning into the town of Mehama, and further to the west up on the ridges to the north. That fire was stopped as it burned into Silver Falls park on the west. The Beachie/Lionshead megafire, nearly 400,000 acres, burned over 1500 structures, including 700+ homes. Three people died in the Little North Fork canyon, and at least one other was horribly injured. Most roads in the burn scar were closed to the public, many have not yet reopened for various reasons.

Here is a video of the fire burning past a communications tower atop Halls Ridge, above Detroit Reservoir.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
@Kilchis thank you posting that. 2020 was a horrible season for Oregon fires. Scars, unfortunately, remain. Someday the area will return but to a new normal.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
On Labor Day of 2020 an extremely strong east wind, over 70 mph in some of the mountain passes, drove a series of blowtorch conflagrations through parts of Oregon's Willamette and Mt Hood national forests. Five of the fires exceeded 100,000 acres each. The Lionshead fire started about 12 miles west of the town of Warm Springs, which is on the Deschutes. In a matter of a few hours it raced over the Cascades and burned through the town of Detroit and on to the west. It merged with the Beachie Creek fire, just over the ridge to the north of Detroit, which exploded the same day and incinerated much of the canyon of the Little North Fork, eventually burning into the town of Mehama, and further to the west up on the ridges to the north. That fire was stopped as it burned into Silver Falls park on the west. The Beachie/Lionshead megafire, nearly 400,000 acres, burned over 1500 structures, including 700+ homes. Three people died in the Little North Fork canyon, and at least one other was horribly injured. Most roads in the burn scar were closed to the public, many have not yet reopened for various reasons.

Here is a video of the fire burning past a communications tower atop Halls Ridge, above Detroit Reservoir.

That video recording... I watched it until the end - it leaves me speechless.

iggie

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We missed the telephone notice to evacuate at around 11 pm. There was someone banging on the door at 3:15 am. I jumped up and yelled
who the Hell is it. I heard a woman's voice. It is National Forest. You have to leave right now the town is on fire. We got the dogs and grabbed the file with all our papers and left. Going down Mill City-Lyons Rd. with all the smoke and flames was one of the scariest things we have done. We got to Roth's grocery In Stayton where my wife worked, the parking lot was full of RV's. We were told when we got there, Mill City was gone. It's was good that was only partly right. The volunteer Fire Dept. stayed and saved the main part of town.
I hope I never repeat that experience.