Gel Spun Poly Recommendations

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any time man. I’ve got a lot of help from the people around here. I’m really getting into the spun hair, the stacking of materials, dubbed and synthetic heads.
Wonderful hobby!!

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
^ also:
If you haven’t watched any of the Gunnar Brammer videos I recommend the one covering thread control. Very informative. He has some of spinning hair which are terrific but kinda long. A lot of the tying videos are too long (Kelly Gallop) and I lose focus.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Just to throw this out there I use nano silk from 6/0 down to 24/0 which is Kevlar based. I don’t recommend anything smaller than 12/0 depending on size of fly. If you go smaller than 12/0 it will cut if you apply to much pressure, but for smaller muddlers, irresistible Wullfs, goodard type caddis it’s sweet.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I challenge you to try and break the thread before cutting the hair ;)
Just spooled some 100 up that I got on my trip to Pacific Fly in Mill Creek this morning. Part of my $92.00 purchase. (not complaining)
I will crank on it tomorrow.
First impression - way thinner than the 150 I normally use

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just spooled some 100 up that I got on my trip to Pacific Fly in Mill Creek this morning. Part of my $92.00 purchase. (not complaining)
I will crank on it tomorrow.
First impression - way thinner than the 150 I normally use

Curious to your thoughts! I definite dig it for the types of streamers I tie (mostly the Kelly Galloup and Gunnar Beamer type)

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just to throw this out there I use nano silk from 6/0 down to 24/0 which is Kevlar based. I don’t recommend anything smaller than 12/0 depending on size of fly. If you go smaller than 12/0 it will cut if you apply to much pressure, but for smaller muddlers, irresistible Wullfs, goodard type caddis it’s sweet.

I don’t remember the exact size off the top of my head but that’s what I use for my x-caddis/elk hair caddis’ it’s great and almost 0 bulk.

Kinigit

Smolt
Has any one ever tried just using 8lb braid wrapped onto a spool? It would be super cheap to have a couple of lifetimes worth. I've tried with some 50lb I had, but it is bulky. Although I challenge anyone to break it before they break their vise ;-)

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When tying up larger flies it is really easy to create bulk with the thread. I’m thinking the braid- of any test- would exacerbate the problem