gear price jumps

SSPey

loco alto!
It would be cool if instead of giving out free stuff to "influencers" and their ilk, these companies would set something up where the average consumer can actually get their hands on the products and test them out themselves whether through a fly shop or some sort of loaner program. Not sure what that would look like, but just a thought.

Find out who the regional rep is and contact them

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
If that company produces the River Salients Corta (I am sure this is incorrect :) River Vuelo Corta???.) produces lines that lasted more than 6 months, I’d happily pay double. I will say they have been good about replacing if they shit the bed prematurely. Not sure for how long though. They’ve replaced a lot for me the last 4-5 years.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
"Guides replace their lines every year". If I could get fly lines at a substantial discount or even free to test, I'd probably replace them more often too.

This is my big gripe with fly lines. If it costs so much, it should last a while.

Didn't someone post on another thread that an insider told them fly lines aren't expected to last more than a season?

I do seem to recall that and that is what the customer service rep seemed to imply.
I kindly told her I wasn't a guide or on their pro staff. I don't expect lines to last forever especially if you use them a lot, but they should still last over a year in my opinion for what they cost these days.
SF

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Regardless of value, etc etc etc....that big of a price hike shocked me.

It would be cool if instead of giving out free stuff to "influencers" and their ilk, these companies would set something up where the average consumer can actually get their hands on the products and test them out themselves whether through a fly shop or some sort of loaner program. Not sure what that would look like, but just a thought.
This.

I would love to try different lines to pair with rods so I make sure I buy the “right” one but I end up just resort to forums 🤦‍♂️

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This.

I would love to try different lines to pair with rods so I make sure I buy the “right” one but I end up just resort to forums 🤦‍♂️

Avid Angler has demo lines. They let you take one to go test out on some water for a few days or you can test them out on some of the near by grass fields if you wish. Best to call and make sure they have the demo line you wish to test available tho. I understand that only helps those that live close by to Avid. But it’s worth a call to other fly shops to see if they offer demo lines.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
around 20 years ago, a friend involved in domestic fly line production lamented to me that the packaging cost more than the fly lines themselves. Let that sink in. It is hard to imagine that’s changed. And another who built a fly line extruder and is now selling flylines domestically, one person operation, not wealthy. The fly line business is dominated by too few manufacturers, but is generally too small a market for competition to fully manifest. That may change with pricing like this.

What's annoying about this post is that I literally toss all that packaging and store my lines in a plastic bag in a bin. Why aren't they sold in a plastic bag? The packaging surrounding fly lines is terrible. For an industry that has many ardent environmental concerned practitioners it's a crime to sell them this way. I mean a bunch of folks concerned about climate change yet this type of packaging and junk mail still prevails? Wtf. The postal service could be climate heros by refusing junk mail or at least having a list of do not send but they would rather have the money from delivery of such.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Maybe one thing that fly manufactures could do is consider the length of fly lines they make in order to cut down on the costs.
I just bought a new line that is 123’ long. I wonder how much it would cost if it had 20’ less of running line?
I’m sure some folks can launch that whole line, but in real world fishing around here I certainly don’t see anyone doing so.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Maybe one thing that fly manufactures could do is consider the length of fly lines they make in order to cut down on the costs.
I just bought a new line that is 123’ long. I wonder how much it would cost if it had 20’ less of running line?
I’m sure some folks can launch that whole line, but in real world fishing around here I certainly don’t see anyone doing so.
SF
I can cast the whole DT5F on my old Sage 590 (I cheat, I cut it in half). Sorry for the thread drift.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I bought a new Rio DT3F for my 9 ft RL Winston and was able to cast to the backing.
The WF3F for the other 3wt 7'8' rod has way to much running line to be able to cast all of it.
When I need a new fly line I look for the close outs, which is last years line and they seem to last just as long as when I was paying full price for new line.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
What's annoying about this post is that I literally toss all that packaging and store my lines in a plastic bag in a bin. Why aren't they sold in a plastic bag? The packaging surrounding fly lines is terrible. For an industry that has many ardent environmental concerned practitioners it's a crime to sell them this way. I mean a bunch of folks concerned about climate change yet this type of packaging and junk mail still prevails? Wtf. The postal service could be climate heros by refusing junk mail or at least having a list of do not send but they would rather have the money from delivery of such.
Because the average consumer will get the line and turn it in to a rats nest trying to put it on his reel unless it's on a spool. The manufacturers would rather do it this way but the market keeps pushing them to ship with the spools.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
This kind of pricing will make for a lot of spoon fishermen.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Other than shooting line for spey heads I don't think I've ever worn out a fly line. I have some that I've fished hundreds of days. I'm sure this is due to my supreme vibration free casting technique and not the number of fish I catch (or don't catch as it were)

Slight thread drift. I have one of these and it makes spools unnecessary. The spool shaped cardboard thingy in new SA fly line boxes are more than adequate with it. Maybe line manufacturers should stop making plastic spools and sell these cheap -- give them away for free with 5 proof of purchase seals even.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Because the average consumer will get the line and turn it in to a rats nest trying to put it on his reel unless it's on a spool. The manufacturers would rather do it this way but the market keeps pushing them to ship with the spools.

This is true. Maybe a company can sell somewhat of a mother of all spools for an extra charge then charge less for the less packaged lines with instructions how to use the system.

I'm talking a complete revolution in consumer education and fly line packaging. Something totally out of the box, literally.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Most flylines die from abuse, not use.

#1 stripping the line off the flyreel towards yourself.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
This is true. Maybe a company can sell somewhat of a mother of all spools for an extra charge then charge less for the less packaged lines with instructions how to use the system.

I'm talking a complete revolution in consumer education and fly line packaging. Something totally out of the box, literally.
That's a great idea with the exception that it still wouldn't work....it would require people to actually read the instructions.